Ray Mears tonight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Enjoyed tonights program dedicated to foraging on the sea shore just hope that the message got home about conservation and requiring licences for collecting razors etc .Is Sea kale also a protected specis ? as any digging up of the roots will cause major problems .Has anyone tried to ferment sea buckthorn juice / could be worth a try .

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Are they protected? I don't believe that anything at tidal levels is - no fish licence required - but I may well be wrong.
Now, if we all go out and get a sea kale root and three or four razor shells; how long 'til they are all gone?
I like rat packs myself.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
ilan said:
Enjoyed tonights program dedicated to foraging on the sea shore just hope that the message got home about conservation and requiring licences for collecting razors etc .Is Sea kale also a protected specis ? as any digging up of the roots will cause major problems .Has anyone tried to ferment sea buckthorn juice / could be worth a try .

Yeah, I agree, not enough was made about the fact you can't go around digging up plants where you like. Sea-kale is not protected in itself but many sites on which it grows may be, especially in Scotland where it is very scarce.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I seem to remember him stating that the beach they were on was a site of special scientific interest (or at least that what I think he meant), so he had to get permission to forage there.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
redcollective said:
I seem to remember him stating that the beach they were on was a site of special scientific interest (or at least that what I think he meant), so he had to get permission to forage there.

yeah, but kind of put in as an afterthought and no mention of it's scarcity in some parts of the UK

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
familne said:
yeah, but kind of put in as an afterthought and no mention of it's scarcity in some parts of the UK
for those who missed it, turn on BBC2 right after top-of-the-pops2 and you get to see it all over again.
ten minutes and counting

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Just been looking on Amazon for the book to accompany the series, published by the BBC. I won't be published till September 2007. :eek: What's happened there then? I thought it was originally May, so does anyone know what's happened? :p

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Call me slow, but I think that this has to be viewed as an ethno history series rather than bushcraft.
He isn't trying to encourage folk to start harvesting the wild food, but is illustrating what our ancient ancestors may have ate and showing how it may have been prepared.
As to the book; it was on Amazon for Sept 2007 well before Xmas.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
nobby said:
As to the book; it was on Amazon for Sept 2007 well before Xmas.
The reason I mention the book is that my wife was told my 'a well known highstreet bookshop' that it would be available in May of this year :(

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
fred gordon said:
The reason I mention the book is that my wife was told my 'a well known highstreet bookshop' that it would be available in May of this year :(

It is a strange bit of marketing to have the book launch so long after the series. I hope the video is available earlier.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
A mate told me that this latest episode was far and away more interesting than the first one but as I was getting married on the day when it was on I missed it :D

Nevermind, at least he videoed it ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE