Ray Mears to publish his autobiography sometime in 2013.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It sounds like his tour at the end of the year will be based around the book, I'm hoping to get a copy signed if he's got any for sale.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If he's producing an autobiography, are we to assume that he is winding down/finished with bushcraft, military history and the world outdoors? He's about fifty so there are a good few years of outdoor activity left in him - why not write and publish an autobiography when he's of an age where he can really look back at his achievements, successes and failures using the more objective eye of greater age and even fuller experience?

Despite my frustration that he seems to be producing this prematurely, I am still looking forward to reading it.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I think he's packed more than enough into his life to write his biography now; it just means that he can write another one to look back on his later years.

Compare and contrast with some of the vacuous "celebs" and sports stars who go into print.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
If he's producing an autobiography, are we to assume that he is winding down/finished with bushcraft, military history and the world outdoors? He's about fifty so there are a good few years of outdoor activity left in him - why not write and publish an autobiography when he's of an age where he can really look back at his achievements, successes and failures using the more objective eye of greater age and even fuller experience?

Despite my frustration that he seems to be producing this prematurely, I am still looking forward to reading it.

Because he will be able to sell a 2nd (revised) edition in 10 years time.

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house

Perhaps he's making hay while the sun shines - he may feel that in 10 or so years time there'll be insufficient interest in his autobiography for a publisher to be interested.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
And maybe he does so, because he knows his outdoordays are numbered, for whatever reason and he wants to tell about them while he can and make a some money with it.
I for one would like to read it. After all he has done, seen, achieved and learned more in his outdoorlife than a vast number of people on this forum combined.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Some apposite and some cynical responses. I agree about the profusion of vacuous sports' autobiographies - they really are a waste of time and can only ever tell of that individual's 'best match' or whatever. I suppose it's true: he is trying to cash in while his star shines and people - and publishers - are interested. There must be a certain degree of him wanting to get it all down while it's still fresh in his mind, which is fair enough: I, for one, am becoming more forgetful as time passes! A '2nd edition in 10 years time'? Now there speaks the cynic!

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Oh boy cut the guy some slack. i and i am no doubt sure a great many other would be very interested in his book now and i'm sure there will be loads to interest those who share any of his passions. i've met Ray and i found him to be a very nice man who has a vast range of experience and knowledge to further share. If anyone feels he is cashing in etc. just don't buy the book, no one is forcing anyone. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE