Ray Mears in Oxford

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm pleased to say that I heard Ray Mears talk at Oxford Brookes University last night, after a work colleague got a pair of free tickets for the talk.

The talk was based on his Ray Mears' Bushcraft TV/Bushcraft Survival Book (where he goes round various native peoples) and although there wasn't really anything new, it was interesting to see him in the flesh and pleasing that he seems as genuine and down to earth in reality as he does in the other media.

I managed to get near the head of the book signing queue and was happy that I was able to speak to him briefly and shake his hand.

I did dare to ask a question in the lecture, to see what his thoughts were on the viability of practising bushcraft in England, while remaining within the law. His answer was what I think I expected, but fair, and was basically "find a friendly farmer". Walking up a private drive to knock on the door of an unknown person to ask them if you can have access to their land is, perhaps, easier for someone of Ray's status than a somewhat shy surburban dweller, but may in practice be little different to Ray asking to go and live with a native tribe for a month or two.

So I have now met two of the famous Bushcrafters within the last four months (Ray and Mors), but that doesn't overshadow the many less famous but just as interesting and skilled ones that I have met either electronically or in person through this site.

Geoff

gloomhound

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2008
Charleston
Sounds like a good time. I have only as of late became a Ray Mears fan. Having found his video clips on You Tube. Of course I am rather new to the whole "Bush Crafting" business, but Mr Mears seems to be of giant standing amongst its ranks. We seem to have a somewhat different Bushcrafting tradition here and no one with the authority of a Ray Mears. Well no one I can think of in any case, with my limited knowledge.

As to asking for access to a farmers land. My knowledge of English Farm Owners is somewhat limited. ;-) But I would imagine that they are not too different than American farmers and I have asked many of them for permission to hunt on their property. I have in the past printed up a fact sheet on myself to hand to the farmer when I spoke with them. It had my name a photo of me and some basic facts and a very brief bio and the make and a plate number of any vehicles I might drive out to the property. Tell him what you are wanting to do on his property and how careful you will be. Remember a little help with some farm work goes a very long way. If you don't get the answer you hoped for ask if they know any other land owners that might allow you access, and above all be gracious and thank them. I have given this advice any number of times to friends and relations and I have told them to take the time to clean up and shave, but I am sure in your case this advice is not needed. One last thing here it is considered good mannered to offer the land owner part of any game taken. Not sure how that might apply to bushcrafters, perhaps you could offer them a carved spoon?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
sounds like an evening well spent. Is he due to be giving any more talks in the near future?

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
As to asking for access to a farmers land. My knowledge of English Farm Owners is somewhat limited. ;-) But I would imagine that they are not too different than American farmers and I have asked many of them for permission to hunt on their property. I have in the past printed up a fact sheet on myself to hand to the farmer when I spoke with them. It had my name a photo of me and some basic facts and a very brief bio and the make and a plate number of any vehicles I might drive out to the property. Tell him what you are wanting to do on his property and how careful you will be. Remember a little help with some farm work goes a very long way. If you don't get the answer you hoped for ask if they know any other land owners that might allow you access, and above all be gracious and thank them. I have given this advice any number of times to friends and relations and I have told them to take the time to clean up and shave, but I am sure in your case this advice is not needed. One last thing here it is considered good mannered to offer the land owner part of any game taken. Not sure how that might apply to bushcrafters, perhaps you could offer them a carved spoon?

Good advice :)

I'm shocked......:eek:

This thread's still on topic !!!!! :D

I thought it was obligatory that any thread about the man Mears must go off on a number of seemingly unrelated tangents at the earliest opportunity? :lmao:

Seriously though, I have heard Ray talk on 3 occasions including getting the chance for a day's tuition with him - he really is down to earth - not put on / for show. With regards the access to land I am lucky enough to do some volunteer work at a local scout camp site and hence in return have free use of the land when I want - but I have on other occasions been wild camping / on expedition & have asked farmers to use their land for overnights etc with no problems - always be friendly, introduce yourself & what you want, explain you'll leave no trace.... and smile. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE