Ray Mears fact checks The Revenant :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"Inspired By True Events" sums it up for me. Mr. Mears should have got a gig to work in the film crew.
Apparently, the weather conditions were mostly dreadful and sometimes worse than that.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
One thing that I felt they really got right in the movie was the shelter building. No faffing about, no cordage or axe work just snap a small sapling over to become an instant ridge pole and start layering branches.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Not going to read this article until I've seen the film :) got tickets booked for tomorrow night though...
If even half of the legend is true, I think Hugh Glass' story is the most incredible survival story I've ever heard, and it's a phenomenal testament to what the will to live and some skills can achieve.
From the looks of the trailer they've made up an insane amount of story line though! The film sounds and looks amazing, but I'm bracing myself for a shocking amount of artistic licence :D

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Just go and enjoy being entertained as distinct from educated.

Frankly I couldn't give a flying ferro rod what any of the Bushcraft Experts make of it's adherence to historical and factual accuracy.

K

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Not going to read this article until I've seen the film :) got tickets booked for tomorrow night though...
If even half of the legend is true, I think Hugh Glass' story is the most incredible survival story I've ever heard, and it's a phenomenal testament to what the will to live and some skills can achieve.
From the looks of the trailer they've made up an insane amount of story line though! The film sounds and looks amazing, but I'm bracing myself for a shocking amount of artistic licence :D

the article is really nothing at all - there is barely anything in it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think it's a story of a story. I've not read the Hugh Glass account but I reckon if it's like many from the period then there would've been some embellishment. And like all movies that'll be taken further. It's still a very good movie, even DiCaprio who I'm usually not keen on is good. Hardy who is usually excellent unfortunately has gone back into mumble mode ala Bane; but is still excellent.
Watch it, be entertained and wear warm clothes, I felt freezing all the way through watching it. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
I think it's a story of a story. I've not read the Hugh Glass account but I reckon if it's like many from the period then there would've been some embellishment. And like all movies that'll be taken further. It's still a very good movie, even DiCaprio who I'm usually not keen on is good. Hardy who is usually excellent unfortunately has gone back into mumble mode ala Bane; but is still excellent.
Watch it, be entertained and wear warm clothes, I felt freezing all the way through watching it. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Agree totally, couldn't understand a word Tom Hardy said either! Enoyable movie though.

the article is really nothing at all - there is barely anything in it.
True, it's a pity it wasn't a bit more thorough, just a few words from Ray but they can still get a page out of it :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Guys you mean to say `Star Wars` is actualy Rebellion propaganda?

No, we mean to say that Ray is wasting his time reviewing films when he is best at going out into the wilderness and making films about how to live off the land.

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
Here's the full interview (in case you can't be bothered to follow the link)

Ray, what do you know about this new film The Revenant?

Ray Mears: It’s a story that really interests me. In fact, I even quoted a little bit from an account of Hugh Glass’s ordeal in my first book.

The film, however, is based on Michael Punke’s 2002 novel and I know that there are events in there that were not ever attributed to the original Hugh Glass story.

I think he sleeps in a horse at one point but that comes from a different story altogether. That is based on the story of a boy who was taken prisoner by the Omaha Indians as an infant and raised as an Omaha Indian. He slept in a buffalo with another guy in a blizzard in the Prairies.

Ah yes, about that horse. Is it even possible to sleep inside a dead horse?

RM: That is possible and people have done it. But he’d freeze to death after one night.

I’m not sure whether the horse would provide enough insulation, it depends on the temperature.

A buffalo would be fine. A buffalo’s fur is very, very thick and the fat is very thick, so it would take a long while to freeze.

And what about the fact that Glass rides the horse off the edge of a cliff but miraculously survives after landing in a pine tree?

RM: It’s unlikely. He’d much more likely have plummeted and died in a heap, along with the horse.

Everyone has been talking about the fact that DiCaprio (a vegetarian, lest we forget) ate a raw bison liver during filming. Should we be impressed?

RM: Raw bison liver is fine to eat. In fact, it would be very important. If you eat raw liver, you get complete amino acids, so it will prevent starvation.

It’s very good to eat it raw because the liver contains a lot of blood and blood contains carbohydrates, which will help keep you warm. It acts as a wick that enables you to burn the wax, which is the fat in your body. So it actually enables you to utilise the resources your body already has.

Have you eaten raw bison liver?

RM: I have, yes. We teach people to do these things on the courses that we run but they tend to be hungry before we give it to them. They eat it and they enjoy it and can feel the energy coming through.

Glass also eats plenty of fish, which he catches using a bizarre technique using stones laid out in the shape of a horseshoe. What’s going on there?

RM: That technique is a type of fish weir and was used by native people in that part of the world. It’s not easy, though, and it wouldn’t necessarily have been the best way to catch fish under those circumstances. In those shallow rivers, there are other ways that could be used.

Glass would probably have had the ability to “tickle” the fish, which is where you put your hands under the fish and then you grab them.

There’s another way where you use sticks and logs to make a shallow and force the fish onto it, thereby beaching it. That technique was also used by native people in America.

We can’t forget the bear attack, of course. Could anyone survive such a thing?

RM: I’ve interviewed a woman who was mauled by a grizzly bear. She was out hunting elk with her husband when she saw a female grizzly bear with two cubs running towards her. She went for her rifle but fumbled and the next thing, she looked up and the bear was in front of her.

The bear stood up, put both of its paws on the rifle and then she stared at it in the eye. And that’s where she went wrong. The bear then bit her in the face, the breast and the hip and she pretended to be dead. It then left her alone.

The bear was just warning her off. She wasn’t thrown around like a rag doll, which you’ll see in the movie. The bear doesn’t need to do that because the bear is used to fighting other bears, which have thick skin, whereas ours is tissue paper by comparison. She was horrifically injured and it took a lot of plastic surgery for her to recover.

Ray Mears will be embarking on a live tour, Tales of Endurance, in March. For more information, visit raymears.com

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Made me smile, :cool:

Didn't make me smile.

The fact that a man who has made his living from traveling the world, learning oodles about indigenous people and treating us to televised views of places in the world that we can only dream of visiting is brought down to reviewing the accuracy of a multi-million dollar film is pretty shameful. It is entertainment dressed up... and those saying it's a 'bushcraft' film.... behave! It is simply a funnel for box office monies... nothing to do with living in harmony with the earth. How do you think they filmed it? With solar-powered cameras? You reckon they brought the crew in on foot? Do you really believe what you see on the screen is real?

Back to Ray, he can earn his money by appearing in any gathering place in the world. He is so skilled, so knowledgeable and so willing to share that knowledge... does he really need to be consulted about a film that will gross millions? Does he need to lend his name to the publicity drive? He could sell a knife with his name attached and earn more money per year than the majority of us could hope for.

Personally I think less of him for taking the interview, let alone what he said in it. He could of made more of the opportunity, but nah... the money is good, why bother!

But nevermind... the great Ray has spoken... he's chipped in on a popular film. Let us all bow and those who haven't seen the film... damn you... grab your wallet and pay for something that funnels money towards that film.... don't worry about the entertainment issue... Ray has backed it, just give them your money. There should be some sort of Paypal donation portal to pay your money to, whether you see the film or not... the millionaires need to maintain their lifestyle. Help them. Help the needy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE