Ray Mears Book

ecks

Dec 2, 2005
new jersey, USA
Does anyone know if this book; Bushcraft: An Inspirational Guide to Surviving the Wilderness By Ray Mears is stiil in print? I can't find it anywhere here in the US.

Secondly, is this his best book?

Thanks.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Lots of people have commented that they think "The Survival Handbook" ISBN 1856481808 is Ray's best book. But it is out of print and costs a fortune when it comes up for sale at the moment. Wait until he dies and disappears into obscurity before buying it!! I last saw it (for sale, that is, my own copy is sitting in pride of place on my bookshelf :D) on Amazon second hand for £140!!!

I don't know if the book you mentioned is still in print or not.

SunDog

Forager
Oct 14, 2005
South Coast
Great book. Fairly rare I think and definitely out of print. There's a copy signed by both Ray Mears and the illustrator, Ben McNutt up for grabs on Amazon.co.uk.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
SunDog said:
Great book. Fairly rare I think and definitely out of print. There's a copy signed by both Ray Mears and the illustrator, Ben McNutt up for grabs on Amazon.co.uk.

that would be "Bushcraft: An Inspirational Guide to Surviving the Wilderness" on amazon, not "The Survival Handbook".

"Bushcraft: An Inspirational Guide to Surviving the Wilderness" is not rare at all its still in print and easily available anywhere

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Stuart said:
"Bushcraft: An Inspirational Guide to Surviving the Wilderness" is not rare at all its still in print and easily available anywhere

Err, I don't think there's many in the states, seems to be out of print there :confused:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Its not on the woodlore site either, i guess it probably isnt in print anymore... does appear on evil-bay from time to time though!

and in answer to the second question, in my personal opinion its not his best book (though i do like it) i prefer the 'outdoor survival handbook' its a better manual and more applicable to UK bushcraft.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello, i think i read that "essential bushcraft" is basically the same book with a couple of additions and a few less pictures, it is also smaller, so more of an "in your pack" rather than "on your coffee table" book.
I'm not 100% sure as i don't have "bushcraft" but hopefully someone will confirm, I can say that "essential bushcraft" is a good book with lots of practical and interesting info. If you search the forum i think there's a few threads with various opinions about which of his books are the best.
If you are really struggling to find a copy of the one you want i can probably help by buying and mailing you a copy for whatever that costs but you'll end up paying more in postage.
cheers :)
edit- although going by tomtoms post it may not be available here either!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
ecks said:
Does anyone know if this book; Bushcraft: An Inspirational Guide to Surviving the Wilderness By Ray Mears is stiil in print? I can't find it anywhere here in the US.

Secondly, is this his best book?

Thanks.

Several sites still have it listed including this one which will ship to the states for
An extra $10 making the whole cost somewhere in the region of $40
here I don’t know if it’s his best book as I have only read one book

Note I am not guaranteeing that the book is still available at this site only that it is listed as being there when you go to pay for it. Naturally I didn’t go past the “how do you want to pay for the item” page

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
i have the book. infact i have 2 copies of it, one without the cover, one with. seeing as its christmas coming up and all, i can send you out my extra copy for nothing if you want. it just sits there on my shelf anyway. let me know if your interested.

best regards
james :D

Reactions: tomtom

SunDog

Forager
Oct 14, 2005
South Coast
Stuart said:
that would be "Bushcraft: An Inspirational Guide to Surviving the Wilderness" on amazon, not "The Survival Handbook".

Six second hand copies on Amazon at the moment, cheapest £60. Hodder and Stoughton Feb. 2002...........

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Crikey.

I just got it today from a car boot for 50p...

Its nice, but call me an old fart, he seems to have shares in a lot of companies, doesnt he?

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
SunDog said:
Six second hand copies on Amazon at the moment, cheapest £60. Hodder and Stoughton Feb. 2002...........

Blimey, it's only a few years old I had no idea it was out of print. Wonder how much my signed copy is worth.... :rolleyes:

I prefer the 'outdoor survival handbook' for instructions, Bushcraft is very good, but more of a coffee table book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE