Ray Mears at Gawsworth Hall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Winston

Jun 5, 2010
Preston
I had the priveledge of seeing Ray giving a lecture at Gawsworth Hall outdorr theatre last night and just wanted to post a few thoughts...

First the venue is excellent, if you get the chance its worth going if your not a million miles away...

Second Ray was as you would expect, hugely passionate and knowledgable and the sort of person i could have listened to for days and days. He is also hugely proud of this country and its bushcraft origins.

I was dissapointed however that he doesnt allow any photography durign his shows. I undewrstand his reasons and thats his choice and it was well resepcted, despite all the long lens id seen around all night, but still dissapointing.

Ray spoke for about 2 hours in total and took questions from the floor, his lecture was about his views and experiences in bushcraft from the start of his televison series through to his most recent work.

A really good night and well worht the travel invovled to see him in such a wonderful arena..

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Can I ask if it was advertised as a lecture or as 'An Evening With...'? The reason I ask is that the proper lectures he does are far superior to the 'Evening With...' events and I was hoping that he'd nipped the latter in the bud. With any luck, we've seen the last of those.

Yes, he is an enthralling speaker and very easy to listen to.

I don't understand why people would find it disappointing that you're not allowed to take pictures - it's a lecture on bushcraft, not a paparazzi event.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Got to agree with Mikey on the photo lark, it would be like a Robbie Williams concert if they allowed all those cameras kicking off.

May 17, 2011
Lancashire
I too was at Gawsworth Hall on Sunday evening for "An Evening With Ray".

I found the talk very interesting and, as others have said, I could have listened to him speak all day. The subject matter of Ray's past work covers a very wide spectrum and so, inevitably, a general talk didn't cover anything an any great detail.

As for the photography aspect, I wasn't surprised at all by the request; it's quite common and most venues prohibit un-authorised recording/photography.

Winston failed to mention the shortcomings of Gawsworth hall, namely that the seats are tiny, uncomfortable and un-allocated so if you're planning a trip to an event at Gawsworth Hall then arrive early, bring a comfy cussion and be prepared to be friendly with people sitting either side of you.

Nick

Winston

Jun 5, 2010
Preston
Nick,

I found the seats ok, but i was between my father and brother so maybe the proximity wasn't so noticable for me...

I would support the arrive early notion tho... Id never been there before and was surprised how many folk were picnicking on the grounds before the show, and how they just left there stuff to colect at the end. My dad pointed out they were a trusting lot and i reminded him it was Gawsworth not Crewe where he lives!!! (nothing against Crewe, born, bred and proud)_
The venue is small, but its worth remebering the guy built it in his back garden!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE