Ray Iles premium froe - first use and thoughts

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Evening all,

I have been after a froe for a while now and after some good advice from this parish I decided to go with a ray isles premium froe.

The main reason for the choice over the standard ray Iles froe was that it was called the premium, that must make it better right? ;) , and the price difference was about £3.
My understanding is that on the premium the bevels have been ground more rounded to help the froe pass through the wood.

On opening I was impressed with the look and feel of both froe and handle, the froe being a fair weight and very sturdy feeling.

4db698ba784d9fc08e8f4ee875691561.jpg

beef93b3d865fca9b08634abe519d53b.jpg

I only had some pre cut logs to hand and decided to split it straight in half for a bowl blank.
It took a little while to get the froe to bite but I think that was me being a bit of a wuss as the second split I did went straight in.

aa9a13808b780c6c78298f6a3b392175.jpg

cc2a3e30a151458fc979ea6dc17f6ca1.jpg

9c1c69d1274b92d87bc2e36ce4ac4c2d.jpg

The first split was fairly clean, I didn't have anything to use as a cleaving brake so couldn't get much purchase to push or pull the handle, but the second got a bit messy.
I was trying for a shingle but again it was difficult to get purchase.

7236b2e08c040234fe8b6822b3bd9e1f.jpg

I also split some small 3" rounds which were really easy but I didn't think to take any photos.

Next step will be to get out into the woods and try to split off some sections from a freshly cut tree and see if I can make planks and square off a beam with it.

All in all from a very simple first test I am very impressed and am looking forward to putting it through its paces.

All the best, Hamster

Last edited:

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Great bit of kit arnt they :)

That they are, I was looking at several online and most were selling for £25-45 but mostly from unknown makers so I was quite impressed that this one was only £40 considering how well made it seems.
I have it a fair beating with the mallet and not even a mark after wiping it down.
I'm guessing the painted ones would have a tendency to have the paint worn off so like the plain finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Both of mine came painted and yes its chipping off. I made a sheath for mine and give them a wipe over with an oily rag after use and have used linseed oil on the handles

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi all, quick update I had a bit more of a play with the froe today and made a very rough beam.
It was as simple a splitting 4 sides off a log to make a square beam, not done any tidying up to it as I just wanted to test the theory but quite happy with the result!

Next time, when I have the car, I will bring it home and try to square it off properly and see how it turns out once it has seasoned a bit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413832390.805686.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413832399.918264.jpg

All the best, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a good tool is a good froe :D and it's a safe tool to have at camp with unexperienced hands around and sharp axes and the like just a touch too lethal.

Good to hear a recommendation for Ray Iles' one.

cheers,
Toddy

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I had a froe made for me by a friendly blacksmith, it's thinner than yours, and also longer, but it happily goes through 8" lumps of wood with no problem. Paired with some wedges and you're onto a winner. Happy froing...

Julia

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I see it has an equal bevel to the edge, are you able to alter the direction of split for example, to split a shingle ?Crowe

Hi Crowe, if I'm honest I have only used it half a dozen times with varying results. I have split off some shakes which were fairly even but by the time I had started the split it was almost 3/4 of the way through.

When I split the sides off the beam I could alter the direction to a degree if the split was getting too deep or narrow.

Hamster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE