raw and edible

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
Im interested to find out about wild foods in britain that are perfectly fine to be eaten raw.
ie give it a quick rinse and scoff away.
In particular leafs roots flowers and seashore foods.
Thanks for any help
cheers stiggy

naylor b

Jun 30, 2007
uk
Theres loads Wild garlic, (if you dont mind bad breath!) black berries, primrose, white mustard, dandelions. The list goes on!!

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Stiggy
A few good books to help you on your way:

Wild Foods by Roger Philips (Also Wild Flowers of the British Isles)
A Cook on the Wildside by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall
Food for Free by Richard Maybe

There's usually a section in most good Bushcraft/Survival books too.
Ta Ed

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The most obvious ones would be nuts! Hazel, beech (never found one worth eating though!), walnut if you're lucky, acorns after a bit of preparation. Berries such as blackberries are pretty much obvious to most, but there are others that you will need to look up on. Roots usually need some sort of prep in either cooking or pounding and drying or something complicated like that, so not really something you can just pull up and eat. I suppose carrots and the like you could, not sure how abundant wild carrots are though!

Beech leaves and hawthorn leaves can be eaten straight from the tree when they are young and fresh. Nettles too can be eaten without prep, although your tongue might sting a bit afterwards! Dandelion leaves can also be eaten when they are young and fresh, and ramsons can be eaten, in fact, the leaves, flowers and roots are all edible.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Cherries are not far from ripe in my area, one of my favourites

dscn0771bm8.jpg

and with just roasting on a fire there are Sweet Chestnuts

dscn1254sl9.jpg

All the best and happy foraging....Stu

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
just got my first bottle cherry brabdy made and in the larder should be ready in 6 months time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE