Rattan and Bamboo

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I'm pondering the idea of having a go at the fire saw and the fire thong, which based on my research work best with Bamboo and Rattan respectively. Does anyone know where I might be able to source suitable materials to have a go at these skills in the UK?

Cheers

J

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Oddly, the places to start looking are the back ends of Asian grocery stores! If they don't have rattan or bamboo, they might know who does. Nearest city to me is 3hrs west by car. There's an Asian store with bamboo 4" and smaller plus a huge basket of rattan bundles (looks like chair-making stuff.) Same store, I can buy food, dishes, woks, as well.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Julia,
If Robsons Chinese Supermarkets luck out (or if you don't have one near you) hit your local garden center, bigger ones should have what you need.
Failing that some art stores or fabric stores may keep the ratan.
Good luck with the projects and remember; pictures or it didn't happen. ;)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I dont think they do rattan, but UK Bamboo are very helpful and not far from you in the SE corner of the UK. Try www.ukbamboo.com and ask for some scraps. They have a large amount and variety on site at any time.

Address: 8 Parkview Rd, Framfield, East Sussex TN22 5RH
Phone:01825 890041

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've often thought about a local (UK) replacement for the rattan for the fire thong, as I ain't getting any younger and the bowdrill will soon become too physically awkward if not in ideal conditions and the thong seems more easily managed for those who find kneeling difficult.

I was going to try Honeysuckle, Clematis and along that line; this thread has brought this to the fore and as soon as we get a little more clement weather I'll experiment and report back.

have you thought of native timber for the fire saw?! the aborigines in the deserts of gods own country use a hardwood object (usually the edge of a woomera/miru) across the split/crack of a softer base, employing a two-man-method.....

the movie "rescue dawn""shows an interesting version of the firesaw for one person....

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I brought an 8 foot by 2 inch bit back from France, oh , a bit big?

Definitely garden centres for the bamboo, they have a range of sizes.
What size rattan? Florists use small stuff. I think Dunelm sell rattan baskets, could you dismantle one?
You do see bamboo growing in gardens, although most types spread prolifically. Ask for a cane?

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I spent a few hours today collecting a few bits and bobs in the woods to try a few things out; what I hadn't reckoned with was that they seem to need a little seasoning to be of any use, the Honeysuckle especially is a bit delicate so I'll leave them a couple of days and give Sun/Mon over to a little experimenting and report back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE