Rats!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bonjour

Jan 14, 2012
surrey
Firstly hello all,
Secondly councils have no responsibilityto deal with your pest problem unless it is in semi~plague proportions or on theirtennents property.The only wayto effectively control rats is with poisoned bait containing Bromadialone( or other 2nd gen poison). They are nearly impossible to shoot because they only stop for a coupled of secs.believe me.; I have tried LOTS!! All recoverable bodies should be taken away according to current regs and disposed of by incineration.
APPOCALYPSE NOW!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum :cool:

I composted the rats :rolleyes: I don't have a kiln so I reckoned biodisposal by the brandling worms was as good as it was going to get. Heavy clay soil, it needs a tremendous amount of organic material to keep it open and drained.
That said, the magpies and hoodies used to squabble over mice the cat caught that were left on the lawn so I suppose they'd have managed the rats too, I just didn't fancy them left lying around.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Firstly hello all,
Secondly councils have no responsibilityto deal with your pest problem unless it is in semi~plague proportions or on theirtennents property.The only wayto effectively control rats is with poisoned bait containing Bromadialone( or other 2nd gen poison). They are nearly impossible to shoot because they only stop for a coupled of secs.believe me.; I have tried LOTS!! All recoverable bodies should be taken away according to current regs and disposed of by incineration.
APPOCALYPSE NOW!!

Pretty easy actually, mate, unless yer shootin' from a hundred feet away.

BTW, welcome!

Last edited:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
If you want to get rid of them humanely try this. Find out where their main nest hole is and leave a large shallow dish/soup plate full of rum outside. Next to the plate leave a handful of sugar cubes.

The rats come out, drink the rum, get drunk and start throwing rocks of sugar at each other. When they're all knocked unconcious you can pick them up by the tail and release them somewhere else..

No? ok just trying to help....
door-165.gif
.................... :rofl:

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
When people are saying air pistol and Gat, are they powerful enough for a clean kill? Only ever used a rifle my self.
Dont like the little bleeders one bit but any kill even disease carrying virmin should be clean.

Whole heartedly agree, i have a couple of permissions to shoot on land and only ever shoot to kill cleanly and make sure myself and my equipment are up to the job

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Firstly hello all,
APPOCALYPSE NOW!!

Find there run (the path they almost always use to go too and from there nest) put a paving slab up as a back stop for the pellet, put some peanut butter out in front of the slab for a couple of nights, they stop and lick it rather than grab and run, make sure ya rifle is zeroed to the distance and you are accurate as a clean kill is best and away you go :)

our council will send round their rat man for free tho he only really uses poison and advises on what to improve hes said for use the rat holes in the banks etc are best gassed with a 2 stroke engine fumes

my catch traps have got nothing n 3months even baited on main runs etc

Any rat wounded will be dead pretty quick as its mates will smell blood and deal with it even if all you do is remove a toe ( Im not condoning sloppy shooting etc)

same reason disposal of bodies is simple they get eaten and if you get a couple of rats wit ha taste for rat meat they will help the problem

have a mate who was taken to Hovis bread Grain store in Southampton Docks his freind shoots rats there the grain pile was taller than most houses but when the light is turned on its a grey moving mountain a few mins of shooting as fast as you can reload estimated 150 dead all over the grain pile

move on come back 1hr later no bodies

had a rat in the car over christmas while it was parked up its done most of the wiring with 2 pages of error codes when they plugged in to the computer and the leather seats luckly the insurance is paying out as its a 2yr old Volvo ofroad estate XC70 adn needs the entire loom i nthe cabin replacing

ATB

Duncan

PS a mate sent me this as an interesting trap (yes i know twitch up snares are illegal in UK)

[video=youtube;P4lxlnQs-Sk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded& v=P4lxlnQs-Sk[/video]

I keep chickens at my allotments. These are in the middle of a city area and as such we are covered with rats.

The first problem with rats is the shear numbers you dont see. I dug out a single rat from a single hole once . i had to kill 8 rats to get to the one i wanted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

secondly just one method of rat control is not enough.

i have 6 poison bait boxes set around my allotments, each one has its poison changed every three weeks or when it is empty, to prevent it going stale or rats not feeding on it or immunity issues.

I have well over 20 spring back rat traps set in either wood boxes or in non hedgehog ways, baits range from hard over cooked sausages to chocolate spread.

I DONT USE PEANUT BUTTER BECAUSE ITS AN OLD WIVES TALE. anyone that suggests it either does not have a rat problem or dont has my sort of rats!

I also use mole tunnel traps where i can in or near to the ground. I have 4 whip snares set at all times and lastly when i have the time i sit up there with a cheap chinese rifle b32 and let them have it, NO I DONT GO FOR HEAD SHOTS EVERY TIME. i cant see the point in giving a rat a chance to move. once i have seen it i shoot at it head or bum a 5.5mm hole is going to kill the rat, end off.

I would suggest that anyone here with any sort of rat problem should try to advertise there hunting on the " hunting life " forum, there are many many people who will very happily come in and spend the morning with dogs and ferrets hunting over your lands. i have a team of lads coming from stoke on trent to blitz the allotments in feb. all i have to supply is tea, but i will also do , bacon and sausage and egg butties as well as buckets of tea.

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
I bought one of these for my dad when he had rats in the roof. Baited with peanut butter. Killed about four a day for a week, then didn't see any for a while.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=X&ei=oJoST-OaB4bRhAeO7LGGBA&ved=0CIQBEPMCMAE

I also bought a pair of little nippers, but they were rubbish.

My dad's jack russell cross would have had a go, but they knew to run where she couldn't get to. And they were getting to her food when she was asleep. So you could argue she made the problem worse!

The biggest thing after a kill is to make it uncomfortable for them. Put anything they'll eat in containers they can't get into, then make sure there's nowhere nice for them to live. Screw metal plates over the holes they're getting into buildings through.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Peanut butter works for me and has for countless others, a bait that isnt easy to pick up and run off with it will do, try airgun forums and advertise to any local airgunners they will have a go at them for you, permissions to shoot are quite hard to get so you will probably get a few takers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE