Ration Packs - bulk buy??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a bulk supply of military ration packs? They are handy for days out in the winter or keeping in the car for the odd eventuality. I do drive a land rover afterall:lmao:

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I looked on ebay but most people are wanting to sell 24 hour ration packs and the only first strike/ MRE type ones are either the US military or they are hugely overpriced. Just wondered if anyone knew of someone who I cold get a bulk buy of assorted menus. I'm ideally wanting the type that I can throw a couple into a back pack for a weekend winter camping or in a side pocket in the car.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a bulk supply of military ration packs? They are handy for days out in the winter or keeping in the car for the odd eventuality. I do drive a land rover afterall:lmao:

Keep a few tins of food/noodles/chocolate/five minute rice/instant coffee and pasta to hand.

I've got a stock of rat packs to hand but to be honest I've come to realise that there is a fantastic range of tinned food available now and you can make your own ration pack to suit you for less than a tenner.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Sorry I should have been a bit more specific. Its the field/ mfe /first strike type ration packs I wanted. I already keep a selection of tins etc. in the car but the field ration packs come with a nice pack heater too so it saves me having to set up a stove/ light a fire when on the go or when I get stuck in the snow.

Thanks for the links. There are a few there that sell them individually. I will see if they give a discount for buying in bulk. Much appreciated.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Sorry I should have been a bit more specific. Its the field/ mfe /first strike type ration packs I wanted. I already keep a selection of tins etc. in the car but the field ration packs come with a nice pack heater too so it saves me having to set up a stove/ light a fire when on the go or when I get stuck in the snow.

Thanks for the links. There are a few there that sell them individually. I will see if they give a discount for buying in bulk. Much appreciated.

You could get the heaters separately

http://evaq8.co.uk/FLAMELESS-RATION...ng-Meal.html?gclid=CKCcq-yo3bkCFUXJtAodvW8AvA

Or in packs of ten

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221281477...ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=54&ff19=0

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
You could of course go to a legitimate source rather than stolen MOD / US DoD goods. Clue = Not for resale or similar on box Plenty of options even GoOutdoors sell flameless heaters ....

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
As Rik says, you're better off making your own and throwing a small stove and bottled water in the same box, but if you want to buy ration packs, they are available from http://www.beyondthebeatentrack.co.uk/

I'd ideally not want to spend £20 a pack but at least you know they are in date and not stolen.

The last ration pack I was issued was labelled for jungle use and had a self-heating pack for the beef and cassava main meal, everything else was ready-to-eat snacks (vacuum packed sandwich, fruit mush, biscuits, etc) although hexi and metal mug are still required to make the tea/coffee.

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I got an email the other day From this chap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-Hooke...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item232f4203e0

The food was tasty, the standard boil in the bag stuff. Not connected etc.

Rick is right there are a lot more options nowadays, I've replaced the pate for biscuits brown with peanut butter and nutella. From this guy here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Peanut-...pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item3f28ec6e91

If pâté is your thing most supermarkets do it in a tin or foil tray in the world foods section, Polish I think, tastes okay (slightly worried I've been eating Polish dog food). I'm still after a source of biscuits brown after 'Army Rations' closed.

I'm busy trying the fruit and jelly foil sachets from the baby and kids section of supermarkets just for something different.

We've trialled some of the self-heating bags at work, baxters or batchelors I think. The meal came with heater, small pouch of water and spoon. The heater pouch worked really well summer or winter. It's not the ones in the link above.

Last edited:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
You could of course go to a legitimate source rather than stolen MOD / US DoD goods

Amazing then that none of these Surplus stores who are openly selling these haven't been raided and their shelves stripped and the owners prosecuted for selling them.

I guess that is down to the MOD disposal auctions selling them legitimately to the stores, not sure how so many thousands of boxes would come onto the open market so easily otherwise?

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
OK thanks for the info. I have plenty of options to consider now. I'm considering making up my own and getting some of the better heat packs.

Stoves are great if you can stand over it. I was in my LC80 a few years ago in Aberdeenshire. I was helping Grampians finest to rescue motorists from snow bound cars etc. I was out in the cold most of the day and into the night and it was white out conditions a lot of the time. Getting a drink wasn't an issue as I always carry water or juice around with me. The problem was getting something decent to eat. I was miles from a shop and I didn't want to break into my stash of emergency chocolate as it was just hunger and not survival. Having something in the car that I could have ripped open and filled my face with would have been great. I could have opened one of my tins but I probably wouldn't have had time to eat it all before the next shout. Having a half full tin rolling around the car would have been messy. I did have dried packets too but again crunching on noodles is not the most appetising meal. The next day one of my mate told me he carried MRE ration around with him and gave me a sample. OK it wasn't the most amazing thing I had ever eaten but it was a damn site better than a tin of Tesco beans and sausages! lol

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I think they are sold when 'out of date' and are disposed of as 'collectables' in order to avoid breaking any food hygiene/supply regulations?

I could of course be talking horlicks?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE