Ration pack dates

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Hi I bought some 24 hour ration packs (british) but I can only see what I think is the production date? What is the shelf life of these packs?

Thanks Mark

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi Mark
Basically all packaged food has a "use-by" date and tins and pouched meals are around 5 years - BUT THIS CAN VARY WITH STORAGE CONDITIONS!
Most tinned or pouched meals will last indefinately as long as the packaging is not compromised and I have eaten many a rat pack meal older than 5 years old with no ill effects and no noticable deterioration of the food quality. I have also had "in date" rat pack meals that, having had pin hole punctures of the packaging, have rotted and could have killed me if I had tried eating the stuff....If the bag is inflated the meal is rotting (like a botulism blown tin can) if the meal stinks it is rotted, if it looks fine, smells fine and has been boiled in the bag foe 10mins then - bon apetite!
Oh - use your own judgement as I take no responsibility for any deaths by poisoning that can be atributed to eating out of date packaged food .... what you put in your mouth and belly is your own affair!
Jack Horner brand plum pies may not be the best food for you at the moment......
See you in Llandysul soon?
John

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Thanks guys the PD date is 00 so thats 7 years but the packs look ok, there are stickers on the pack saying the cheese has been removed.
John I hope to see you thursday, may bring the family:D

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE