Rate this ruck pls?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Anybody used this here rucksack?
its the german army combat pack 65l

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/...ks/flecktarn-camo-combat-rucksack-465030.html

excellent price for it however, is it any good?
i find that my current alice pack honestly doesn't sit right on me, the hip pad isn't on my hips but my lower back and that is REALLY bad.

ideally it'll be used for max 2 nights, so it doesn't have to be the 85l my alice is. however i'd like to know if anyone has experience of this pack, especially if your about 6'3" tall! and how you rate it.

if you don't rate it what would you suggest i look at? baring in mind i'm pretty limited on funds (aren't we all atm?) and those lovely karrimor 45l with side pouches are well out my range lol.
thanks
pete

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Military bergans are designed to be worn over webbing, which means the hip belt does not sit on your hips. This in turn means you are carrying the whole load on your shoulders, so you feel fatigued sooner!

I would avoid military type bergans for that reason alone.

Get yourself down to a camping shop and try a few on, but make sure you load them up first - climbing ropes make good ballast for this, and walk around the shop wearing it. A good outdoor shop will expect you to do just that anyway, so you won't get any funny looks (at least from the staff!).

Simon

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Well I can't comment on the pack as I haven't tried it, however without some back adjustment i would be wary.

I Suffer from what used to be called a slipped disc and i would recommend one of the highlander range with ABS (adjustable back system) it covers small back to very long back length (I'm 6 foot 7).
I personally use a Highlander Forces 88 but the 55 has the features that you seem to need.

From the same site. .
http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shopscr3367.html

Naturally, if possible try it on (loaded) before you buy a sack but I've had no probs with mine.

Hope this helps.
Kev

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
eep, yeah after reading about that there german one i do worry a little.
yeah the alice does sit above where webbing and poss the us buttpack would sit so yeah makes sense there.
that vulcan is nice, however is it ok for a tall oddjob like me?
i'll have a route through my local dealers too, see whats what in their store ;)
thanks guys!
pete

ed: NGUK i did look at that highlander on polmil 38.99 on there, looks good and has the ABS you mentioned.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I used to (and still do occasionally) use one of those.
I like them. A lot. What I particularly like is the fact they have no internal support, which means it conforms to the shape of your back (as long as you put all the soft stuff toward the back of compartment).
Two things: firstly, it is NOT 65L. Yeah, I know they say it is, but it isn't. More like 55L. 60L at the VERY most. Secondly, the main shoulder straps are relatively thin. To be honest, this hasn't caused any problems, so I shouldn't really mention it. But I always think, 'mmm...if only you were 1/2" wider...'
I couldn't say about the hip strap - I don't like them and never use them. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about 'carrying all the weight on your shouldes' - they're not massive 88L packs, so don't get that heavy. I've never felt encumbered by the weight of one full up.
That particular one is a bit pricey at £30. You can do it cheaper than that if you shop around - about £20 is the normal price.
I would recommend one. But keep in mind the points I raised above - particularly about the size: it ain't 65L!!!

Alternatively, as someone else mentioned, look at the Highlander Forces range. My other pack is the Forces 66 (cavernous compared to the German one). They're very good at cheap prices.
Either the German one or the Highlander one will do you - but I would say that, since they are the two packs I have. But I'm very happy with both.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I dont know about the rucksack but The service I have received from that outfit has been pathetic to say the least, by far the worst company I have had the misfortune to come across in 7 years of internet shopping. Downright liars.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It doesn't look to sturdy, if your not in a rush keep watching the classifieds on the forum, something better will turn up and unless your dead set on a military pack heed SimonM's advice and opt for a civilian one.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE