Ratchet straps wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`m looking for some ratchet straps to hold my canoe to roof bars, anybody got any spare kicking about.

I know there are some wagon drivers on here :drive:

I`m looking for some ratchet straps to hold my canoe to roof bars, anybody got any spare kicking about.

I know there are some wagon drivers on here :drive:

Cam straps are probably better bud. You have more control on the tension on the hull of your canoe with cam straps, I've heard of nightmare stories with folk using ratchet straps and their hulls giving in or weakening severely.

You can get a pair of decent cam straps for less than a tenner on ebay.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
as woodsmoke said, i use ratchet straps and they can crush things waaaaaaaaaaay easily. Screwfix is your best bet for small ones.

Drongo

Aug 19, 2008
Lisburn
B&Q - 4 straps for £10... not the Masterlock ones, look fhr the B&Q own brand ones, last I seen them they were over near the car polishes and oils part...

And they are bright yellow, so you can't loose them*

*this claim is not a legal binding statement, I used to have 2 sets, but currently I've only got about 5.5 straps.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Cam straps as folk have said. Just like the ones you buckled up for me last week.

I used ratchets for a while but they were starting to deform the packs hull. There's nothing to royalex lite.
Still use them sometimes on the barge but it's a lot less flexible.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Sure are. Watch your far windows when you chuck the buckle end over the boat.

You use them doubled. Over the boat, round the bar, back over the boat, round the bar and connect. Not just wrapped round like we did putting the wee 'un on the side of the barge.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sure are. Watch your far windows when you chuck the buckle end over the boat.

You use them doubled. Over the boat, round the bar, back over the boat, round the bar and connect. Not just wrapped round like we did putting the wee 'un on the side of the barge.

Will 5m be long enough for the Pack Josh ?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yeah, they'll do fine, just chucked a bit of string over the middle of the hull and it was less than an arm stretch so 5m will be plenty.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
From this post can I surmise your negotiations were successful and you are the proud owner of a new canoe ?

Stephen

She`s given in after about 4 days nagging. On one priviso though that I finish the decorating in the hallway and stairs.

It`ll be a same to wreck the paint with the first trip up the stairs :D

I`ve found one of those storage places in town which will store it for me for £5 p/w which ain`t too bad.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I was just reading your other post about "will it fit" and was thinking..decorating then dragging that canoe up there.....oh dear :aargh4: :nono: If you get away with that one mate :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Stephen

She hasn`t decided on the colour scheme yet so I might suggest royalex green as an option

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Mind you need an emergency stop rope too. The pack's so light that I just tie an old prussick cord between the handle and the middle of the front roofbar(it's a bolted bar) with a wrap around the thwart in passing.
With the barge I go onto the towloop, either way it's good to have the back-up if you have to slam on the anchors.

Wee boy racer motor like yours you might want to think about a rope to hold it on as well. Tie off on a bar then carry on to the stern. :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mind you need an emergency stop rope too. The pack's so light that I just tie an old prussick cord between the handle and the middle of the front roofbar(it's a bolted bar) with a wrap around the thwart in passing.
With the barge I go onto the towloop, either way it's good to have the back-up if you have to slam on the anchors.

Wee boy racer motor like yours you might want to think about a rope to hold it on as well. Tie off on a bar then carry on to the stern. :D

Thanks for that Josh, they`ll be plenty of cordage knocking about by the time I `ve got it secured :)

Not sure the motor will be so quick though, the roof bars I bought must weigh 2 ton.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE