Rat Pack Chocolate.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have been sorting out my victuals after getting the most recent box of rations from M'Hound of this parish. I came across a few bars of chocolate from 'Duncans of Scotland'. I was scoffing one today whilst driving back from a walk and I thought I'd google them to see who they are. Not whilst driving of course ;-). The chocolate was pretty good for ration pack stuff especially considering the factory closed down in 2003 after losing the MOD contract! :p

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Yes, happy memories of that choccy in rat packs of old, I always liked it, but not as much as the biscuits, brown with the pate.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Some day when youi're in a big store, take a look for Mexican chocolate, Barra is one brand.
Hexagonal pieces maybe 3/4" thick and 6-8 to a box.
What makes it different is that it's liberally laced with sugar crystals and cinnamon.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Speaking of Rat Packs and their contents...I'm sorting supplies out for a trip to the woods and I notice the pack contents are now really of world wide supply/manufacture. I've got Orifo Pasta and Bean salad from Thailand, Dried Fruit segments product of New Zealand and Cashew nuts from Seville in Spain, but you'll be pleased to know the Biscuits Brown and Biscuits Fruit are still from UK. :D

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I used to love the old Ration packs, both the tinned ones (which I didn't really use much) and the first generation pouches. I think the new ones are too daddy and don't really deliver, they always seen to keep changing the contents.

They changed them, because the old ones were too expensive (@£20) and feedback from the younger generation. Duncan's chocolate was great, even when it went white!

Oh I've gone all misty eyed now....😢

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I still have quite a few of those tucked away somewhere, pretty sure I have both Milk and dark bars somewhere...

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Stop it you lot I keep thinking of tins of bacon grill or happily munching on biscuits brown with the spreads. Not forgetting porridge and apple flakes with added drinking chocolate

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have had a good few of the old style but really rate the new ones. The tomato and basil soup should be served in bone china on a white linen table cloth!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I much prefer the old style, some of the new stuff is good but they feel like a cost-cutting measure at times. Muesli for breakfast etc.. bring back corned beef hash and give us a proper hot breakfast, laced with brown sauce of course. The soups in the pouches are nice but don't really feel that filling, and it was nice to have a cup of soup along with a meal pouch. Far too much vegetarian items now also (In standard packs).

Tonyuk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
'Old-style?' -

Who can remember rat-pack 'porridge' - a gob-full of Oatmeal biscuit with condensed milk sucked straight from the tube! :)

Or the 'modern' version - packet-ed porridge oats mixed with drinking chocolate powder and hot water poured straight into the bag?

I love the boil-in-bag and self heater meals but compared to 'my day' (as I frequently chide my offspring) - they are like fine dining! :lmao:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
'Old-style?' -

Who can remember rat-pack 'porridge' - a gob-full of Oatmeal biscuit with condensed milk sucked straight from the tube! :)

Or the 'modern' version - packet-ed porridge oats mixed with drinking chocolate powder and hot water poured straight into the bag?

I love the boil-in-bag and self heater meals but compared to 'my day' (as I frequently chide my offspring) - they are like fine dining! :lmao:

The condensed milk was excellent, along with the teabags bigger than the mug the brew was being made in. The 'instant white tea' that came later tasted like sewage run off.

Duncans rum & raisin was great too,

Tonyuk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE