RAT/Esee Izula users?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Hello all;)

Been thinking of getting a usable necker/back up blade and thinking of an Izula, does anyone have any experience in this knife and more so in practical application?

I like the idea of it being flat, inobtrusive and easily carried (perhaps piggy-backed onto the sheath of a larger knife later on) as well as looking like its got a decent shaped blade.

Its not likely to be a first choice or for prolonged use.

Any thoughts please?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have had an Izula and in fairness regret passing it on.
I'm sure that the purists will dismiss it, but it's a lovely little knife and the RAT sheathes offer a range of carry options.
It sharpens to become a really sharp thing.
My only regret was that I gave mine a paracord wrap that just swallowed dirt and was hard to clean. I know someone on BB has given one a set of scales, but if I manage to get another I'd leave it nekked.
Really nice practical knives.....get one ;)

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hi Marcel,
I have a pink :rolleyes: Izula and it's a very nice little but sturdy knife. With a Molle lock you can easily carry it horizontally on your belt where it's easily accessible.
With 4.2 mm blade thickness it can take a beating (esp. in combination with ESEE's fantastic warranty) but it's not the greatest slicer. I've recently upgraded mine with the Micarta scales which makes it more comfortable but IMO too heavy for a necker.

Cheers
Joerg

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I have had an Izula and in fairness regret passing it on.
I'm sure that the purists will dismiss it, but it's a lovely little knife and the RAT sheathes offer a range of carry options.
It sharpens to become a really sharp thing.
My only regret was that I gave mine a paracord wrap that just swallowed dirt and was hard to clean. I know someone on BB has given one a set of scales, but if I manage to get another I'd leave it nekked.
Really nice practical knives.....get one ;)

I REALLY do not need any temptation, I have the breaking strain of a kitkat!

I have on of these http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Böker-Plus-Knives/Boker-Plus-RNR-Audacity/p-92-298-3937/ and love the concept of this kind of necker, i.e. flat and inconspicuous but find the blade on this quite limiting although usable. But the Izula looks uber practical
I am liking the look of other RATs too now, might even look at one of the larger ones instead of an A1 once I have funds in my tucker purse!

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Hi Marcel,
I have a pink :rolleyes: Izula and it's a very nice little but sturdy knife. With a Molle lock you can easily carry it horizontally on your belt where it's easily accessible.
With 4.2 mm blade thickness it can take a beating (esp. in combination with ESEE's fantastic warranty) but it's not the greatest slicer. I've recently upgraded mine with the Micarta scales which makes it more comfortable but IMO too heavy for a necker.

Cheers
Joerg

Seen the Pink ones, love to get the Bosslady one, where did you get it please?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Take a look at this on BB if you are interested in a bigger version of a RAT knife...
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?107900-ESEE-4-passaround-amp-giveaway

i was going to suggest a RAT3, it was,nt until i saw a video, and then subsequently handled one that i realised how compact they are.

I have set up the Sheath on mine so i can multi carry, and often as a suprisingly inobtrusive necker!

not doing the Izula down but it is a dedicated necker and so has limitations elsewhere, if thats the space you need to fill then fine.

But the Rat 3 is a dare i say "proper" knife and i,d recomend giving one a go.

my knife so im biased scandi, flat ground or convex etc etc

Kydex can be done for teklocs andf MOLLIE etc

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61057

Dsc_4512.jpg

Dsc_4510.jpg

you can also put scales on em
Dsc_4382.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
I have one and I absolutely adore it. In the... year or so that I have it, it has been used to baton with, general cutting, prying around in saw cuts to get chunks out, you name it. I only had to sharpen it once so far and that was after a lot of heavy use over the winter. The sheath is a bit bulky so I cut it down to make it slimmer and even more comfortable for carrying around the neck. Oh right, I also hacked holes in 4 inch thick ice with it. Good times.

So to sum it up: Keeps an edge really well, holds up to a load of punishment and is very light and compact.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have one and I absolutely adore it. In the... year or so that I have it, it has been used to baton with, general cutting, prying around in saw cuts to get chunks out, you name it. I only had to sharpen it once so far and that was after a lot of heavy use over the winter. The sheath is a bit bulky so I cut it down to make it slimmer and even more comfortable for carrying around the neck. Oh right, I also hacked holes in 4 inch thick ice with it. Good times.

So to sum it up: Keeps an edge really well, holds up to a load of punishment and is very light and compact.

You just reinforce my "need" to get another ;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No idea about the post count thing....I was just trying to help by showing you a few reviews of the RAT.
I suppose I should have remembered I was on BCUK

I think he just meant he didn't have the BB post count to take part in the pass around. And then he congratulated on your 1000th BCUK post.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I've got a Becker Necker, and I'm very pleased with it:

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?strParents=92,537&CAT_ID=537&P_ID=3672

Very robust, keeps a good edge, inconspicuous & comfortable for a skeleton handle in my opinion, and you can always whip a bit of the paracord lanyard around the handle should you ever need to.

And just in case anyone's interested in this sort of stuff, I've got a couple of lengths of bicycle inner tube around the sheath of mine, so I can tuck bits & pieces inside - some water purifying tabs, an old-style flint etc + of course I can use the inner tube as wet weather tinder if necessary. Got the idea from Pict on here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43064&highlight= . Well, I like this sort of thing anyway! :rolleyes:

Worth considering?

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
The factory edge sucks! I gave my Izula a convex edge, and now it´s razor sharp.
Izula.jpg

But the Bravo Necker is a better knife, better steel and of course more expensive.
BravoIzula2.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE