Rasberry-like berry identification??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wjlacey

May 2, 2010
Lancashire
hello, i have stumbled across a berry that appears to be a rasberry, but the leaves, stems, and colour of berry are all a little different. below are two pictures, one is the rasberry which is easy to tell, and i really want to know what the other one is?
thanks guys/girls
45098_1604935284335_1264724676_1672429_2627174_n.jpg

47881_1604933404288_1264724676_1672414_6996284_n.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rasps are one of the fruits that cross to make other varieties, like loganberries, tayberries, etc.,
Those leaves, and the thorns :yikes: look more like my loganberries, but the fruits really do look like raspberries.

I'm pretty sure that there are no toxic plants that look like those. However, instead of tasting, how did they smell ?

The leaves too have a characteristic scent, so have a crush at one of them too.

cheers,
Toddy

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thought I had replied to this... Oh well.

I'd say it is a raspberry, just not the wild variety. Toddy's advice is good. Certainly wouldn't be bad to eat, but flavour can be a bit disappointing in some varieties.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
I found some berries that look like the first picture today. I am also confused. The berries are the size of rasps but are brighter and lighter in colour. The leaves are quite leathery and have spines which feel quite soft. The stems are also thiick with spines but they are also soft.
Sorry i cant psot a pic as i dont have a camera.
Can't find anything in my books.
Can't say i say smell too much from the berries or leaves Toddy... I'd love it if you are right about there being nothing poisonous that is similar. Of course i will wait till i can id before i eat but they are growing by the bucket load........

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
I found some berries that look like the first picture today. I am also confused. The berries are the size of rasps but are brighter and lighter in colour. The leaves are quite leathery and have spines which feel quite soft. The stems are also thiick with spines but they are also soft.
Sorry i cant psot a pic as i dont have a camera.
Can't find anything in my books.
Can't say i say smell too much from the berries or leaves Toddy... I'd love it if you are right about there being nothing poisonous that is similar. Of course i will wait till i can id before i eat but they are growing by the bucket load........

cloudberries? sounds likem. and the original post looks like them.quite low plant.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
They could be tayberries. When you pick them, the fruit pulls away leaving the inner part on the bush like with raspberries. Loganberries have a "core" (not sure if that's the correct terminology) like blackberries do, only more noticeable when you eat it. Tayberries are delicious!

wjlacey

May 2, 2010
Lancashire
hey guys!! thanks very much for all the help. i smelled and then (maybe stupidly) tasted the berry. it was really nice tasting... very weak however.... the chinese brambles seem most alike by the looks of it. and it was in a public space, beside a path in the local park... the berries looked like tiny clusters of red currents (partially transparent)... anyway, tasted good. ha ha, and im as alive as ever

thanks so much guys

wes

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Sloworm is right I think.

I rather thought it was Rubus Tricolor.Certainly the top picture.The lower picture looks like wild raspberry.Neither of them will do you any harm.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE