Raptors galore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
The local raptors were making the most of the nice weather today. The Tawny Owls were twitting and twooing all night. A female sparrowhawk missed me by inches when I stood up from doing pressups in the field (New Year weight loss motivation!) to see what all the garden birds were alarming at. When helping my OH muck the pony out we heard a really loud whooshing noise, I came out the barn to see if someone was driving like an idiot up our road - it wasn't it was 6 woodpigeon taking evasive action plummeting into a big beech tree, seconds later a Peregrine whizzed past and then did a fly past being mobbed by Jackdaws. On our way back from picking up a new cockerel we saw a male goshawk dash from one block of trees to another right in front of the car! Other raptors seen during the day were kestrels, buzzard and raven, all doing their thing.

We haven't had a day like this for ages, its been fantastic.

pilotlight

Jan 7, 2012
Northumberland
Yes it was a splendid day, I sat for 15 minutes waiting for a young buzzard decide to get into view for a photo. daft thing kept flitting from tree to tree about 25 yards away but always with 2-3 branches in between. Eventually my dogs got bored so off we went.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
They just seemed to be enjoying the fine weather. I've just been out shutting chickens in and the Tawny's are at it again! I'm keeping my ears peeled for a 'boo' from an Eagle Owl but haven't heard one yet - they nest just over the hill.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
They just seemed to be enjoying the fine weather. I've just been out shutting chickens in and the Tawny's are at it again! I'm keeping my ears peeled for a 'boo' from an Eagle Owl but haven't heard one yet - they nest just over the hill.

I was surprised to read that you have Eagle owls nesting near you, then I found this http://birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=1026
The UK sure has changed from when I was living there, seems there are more introduced species of wildlife now than native ones.:D

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Yep, they're the ones! I've seen the birds near the nest (from the watchpoint) and have seen one at night while lamping and one flying high over the moor at dawn - I thought it was a Bittern at first!

P

Passer

It's a great area for raptors I agree
I remember one Easter weekend, having nine species around Dunsop Bridge.
Dipped on a Golden Eagle...maybe next time:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE