Rapijet gas burner

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hi All,

Has anyone got one of these or reviewed them? I've just purchased one and am quite impressed. I've had a search but can't find anything on site about these. If there hasn't been one, I'll review it. Any thoughts?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, please do, Im thinking of getting one

(says she who has several types of stoves and tends to go for a firebowl as its easiest)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yes, please do, Im thinking of getting one

(says she who has several types of stoves and tends to go for a firebowl as its easiest)

They are a bit hit and miss, 2 out of 10 to be honest, sorry, Widu13, you could boil a brew in warm weather I suppose :( Your not going to cook real food on one

J

j3st3r

Right here we go, i got the Rapijet from ebay, I like it :) but there is no way it will run for three hours, so i decided to test it out with some other cheap stoves.

Heres they are together with the fuels used,

We have the Rapijet, a Hexamine stove and an old (1950's ish ) Alcohol stove.

This was done indoors ( my prep kitchen to be precise ) non of these stoves come with a wind shield as standard ( but i have sorted something for the Hexi ) All stoves were tested with 500ml of cold water in the smaller of the two pans in my Gelert trek 2 cook set.

First up we have the Rapijet,

Fuel type, 151 Butane lighter gas 150g (270mls) ₤ 1.00 ( Pound shop )
Weight of stove including fuel, 550g
Room temp, 10.5c
Water temp, 7.7c ( before boiling )
Total burn time, 1hour 20min's ( full blast until it was out )
Time to reach rolling boil, 7min's 45seconds

Second we have the Hexamine stove,

Fuel type, Highlander 25mm x 35mm solid fuel tablets ₤ 1.99 ( 8 in a box )
Weight of stove including fuel, 150g
Room temp, 10.7c
Water temp, 7.7c ( before boiling )
Total burn time, 8min's 15seconds ( until it was out )
Time to reach rolling boil, 6min's

Lastly we have the Alcohol stove,

Fuel type, Ever build methylated spirits mineralised 500ml ₤ 1.90 ( enough for about 15 fills )
Weight of stove including fuel, 150g
Room temp, 10.8c
Water temp, 7.9c ( before boiling )
Total burn time, 19min's ( until it was out )
Time to reach rolling boil, 5min's

So compared to the others its not a bad little thing, there is one thing i would change. I would get rid of the igniter and just have a small on/off knob instead of the long on/off knob that houses the piezo igniter ( this would make it fit into the cooking pan)
The claimed running time of 3 hours is a bit over the top IMHO maybe 2 to 2.5 hours on a lower setting ( who runs a stove on low )
So there you have it, filled in an hour of my after noon and maybe it will help some one on here :)
Thanks for reading

J3st3r :)

( I have no affiliation with any of the products i have wrote about Blah Blah Blah ... )

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its a nice idea, but as you can see from your results, the stove is slow and expensive to run, and in cold weather you could double the boiling time at a guess. In cold weather, liquid fuel stoves rule the roost, and are a lot lighter on the pocket in terms of fuel.

Last weekend I took a litre of paraffin to run an Optimus 111 and a Primus Omnifuel, cooked all weekend (real food like stews and brews) and bought about 250ml home, so my fuel bill was about 75p for the two stoves:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE