Rapier Handle

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Whilst rummaging around the web for some ergonomic utensils to help the wife with her arthritis I came across these images.
This unusual pistol grip comes from the world of sword fencing where it reduces wrist strain and provides more accurate blade control.
Well part of me wondered if it does that for a sword then could it work for a knife?

pgs-2_0_o.jpg

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I've used these types of handle in fencing. They are great for fast response, reducing hand fatigue (as compared the the normal slightly curved handle/pommel combo found on fencing foils) and allow greater dexterity during parries.

As Crosslandkelly stated, it would definitely reduce the number of ways a knife could be held as your hand is guided into the orthopaedic/crosse grip. I'm sure it would also decrease the amount of power you could direct onto the blade (as foil fencing is predominantly forward force or subtle sideways movements to parry or 'flick' a hit)

It might well be useful for folks with dexterity problems although again subject to the limitations above.

It's an interesting concept though and might be worth anyone who has the knife making or modding skills giving it a shot.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
From an ergonomic point of view it looks optimized for thrusting rather than sideways force (a.k.a. cutting) so for a bread knife which primarily uses a backward-forward motion, definitely but for a bushcraft/carving knife I don't think it will be an improvement.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE