Range Day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I had a day at the range measuring the velocities of six different hand loads with my chronograph. Here is a few pictures of my setup before actually firing the rounds. All in all a great day out at the range learning about my hand loads. I was measuring two different 9mm bullet weights, two different powders and different recommended (published load data) bullet seating depths.

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi Gordy i have'nt heard from you in a long time sir !...i'm glad you got out to enjoy some shooting time with your weapon...how's the weather out there?...i also got out on friday here in AZ and went to "Ben Avery" shooting range and zero'ed my M-16a1 upper(on a reg. ar-15 lower) and shot my M-9 Berreta aswell...spent about 3 plus Hrs. having a great time aswell...by the way what type of handgun are you using ?...any way great to hear from you LT...vince g. 11B INF...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Cool Gordon. As Vince said, it's been a while since I've seen a post from you. Looks like a good day out.

Is that a public range? how'd the loads do?

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
11binf - Walther P99, which I also use to hunt coyotes. I was also checking velocities on several factory manufactured .22 LR in my Beretta Neos .22 LR, which I use mainly for squirrel hunting.

santaman2000 - Public shooting range. My loads were very consistent with the published load data, which let me know that my techniques and procedures are safe within the published guidelines. One starting load, as recommended in the published data, did not allow for consistent, proper cycling of the slide. Valuable information learned by the experience.

Twodogs - a fun but 'switched on' cerebral day!

Last edited:

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
gordon, with regards your quite snotty/defensive PM, it was just an innocent question. I'm not anti firearms fyi, having served in the British armed forces, I quite miss 'em (firearms that is not the target) ;-)

tally ho

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Here is my private message to MT606 since he chose to reply via the thread instead of PM:

Your post in my thread Range Day.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MT606
go hunting with pistols and assault rifles around your way ?

I am not sure where you are headed with this question but my first reaction is this...

Oh dear!

I'm not interested in debating hunting with you but I will provide some info for you for your edification.

Here is a link that will give a clear, worldwide accepted definition of Assault Rifle. No state that I hunt in, within the US, allows hunting with select fire firearms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

I do hunt with my handguns and I do hunt coyote with my 9 mm handguns.

As I fear you are confusing Modern Sporting Rifles with Assault Rifles, no doubt learned from the ill informed media spreading firearms hype to attempt their own political agenda, I will provide a link to a definition of Modern Sporting Rifle accepted widely with in the shooting sports. I do hunt deer, coyote and fox with my modern sporting rifle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Sporting_Rifle

Please feel free to comment in the thread but if your objective is to create conflict within the thread, please take your comments elsewhere.

Sincerely,

Gordon M.​

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Gordy we are about to have a range day for our wildfowling club. We all load our own non-toxic for 12 and 10g

We will be chrono and pattern testing!

Velocity taken one barrel length from the muzzle!

Patterns will be printed onto a 30" circle at 40 and 50 yrd range!

I want to chrono test chop bought pheasant loads against clay loads so I can find a clay and game cartridge with as close speeds as possible to keep my shooting consistent!

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
jonnytheboy- Sounds like a great range day you've got coming up. My chrony has helped tremendously with consistency in all of my ammunition selection. Your search for similar velocities between your game and clays loads should provide satisfactory results. Have fun with your 'research' on range day!

Measuring velocities for my ammunition and then plugging in the data into external ballistics software lets me know exactly what my rounds are doing in the arc of flight out to specific ranges. The real fun is verifying all of this information at the range on range days. The icing on the cake is in the field, when you have been successful on the hunt having applied all that you have learned!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE