Ramsoms are up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
On the milk run to the store late this afternoon I saw one teeny wild garlic leaf just nosing up through the soil. Less than an inch high. If I had not been looking I'd have missed it.
Spent a few minutes looking for more but it realy was the only one there.
I've monitored this patch of garlic for the last ten years and this is the first time I've seen the first leaf to arrive. Just as we are getting the first real frosts and seriously cold nights.
Last night was the first time we have been below freezing all winter -3. Tonight it could go to -6 so I covered that precious baby leaf with a few handfull of leaf litter to try and add a bit of protection from the frost. I've also put out extra fat balls and peanuts for my feathered friends breakfast in the morning.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On the milk run to the store late this afternoon I saw one teeny wild garlic leaf just nosing up through the soil. Less than an inch high. If I had not been looking I'd have missed it.
Spent a few minutes looking for more but it realy was the only one there.
I've monitored this patch of garlic for the last ten years and this is the first time I've seen the first leaf to arrive. Just as we are getting the first real frosts and seriously cold nights.
Last night was the first time we have been below freezing all winter -3. Tonight it could go to -6 so I covered that precious baby leaf with a few handfull of leaf litter to try and add a bit of protection from the frost. I've also put out extra fat balls and peanuts for my feathered friends breakfast in the morning.

I gave to get up for the chickens (we breed rare breed utility birds now). Its no great hardship to ensure wild birds are fed and gave water too.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
OK, I eventually transplanted two small groups, each of 4/5 bulbs, just as they were showing leaves. See pics below. They have taken well in the 'wild' set-aside area of our garden, and are now starting to flower. So I guess this has been a successful transplant :) . We will give them a year or two to develop properly before we start to harvest any leaves, flowers or the little bulbils that sometimes show up.

No joy with the pignuts unfortunately, and with the current health panic going on, little chance of having an excuse to get back to my old haunts in Surrey to grab some.....

49669955637_e8e8a6abbe_z.jpg

49669667461_3d4f1e0244_z.jpg

Cheers, Bob

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
OK, I eventually transplanted two small groups, each of 4/5 bulbs, just as they were showing leaves. See pics below. They have taken well in the 'wild' set-aside area of our garden, and are now starting to flower. So I guess this has been a successful transplant :) . We will give them a year or two to develop properly before we start to harvest any leaves, flowers or the little bulbils that sometimes show up.

No joy with the pignuts unfortunately, and with the current health panic going on, little chance of having an excuse to get back to my old haunts in Surrey to grab some.....

49669955637_e8e8a6abbe_z.jpg

49669667461_3d4f1e0244_z.jpg

Cheers, Bob

Not a big fan of digging stuff up and moving it...I had a small patch growing wild in a small copse that I look after...someone kindly dug it all up...if I want garlic at home I plant a clove or two of the cultivated varieties

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Not a big fan of digging stuff up and moving it...I had a small patch growing wild in a small copse that I look after...someone kindly dug it all up...if I want garlic at home I plant a clove or two of the cultivated varieties

With the permission of my neighbour (it’s the hedge of the lane on the end of their garden) as the landowner, and by observing the usual rules of foraging (only taking a few bulbs from the hundreds there), I have no problem at all with doing this. Also ramsoms are quite different from cultivated varieties in flavour, and even appear to grow far better and faster in our garden. I’m quite looking forward to eating some of the raw parts when these plants have naturally propagated in our wild patch.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

" Look after " ????

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So far I've made Ramsom Risotto with Mushrooms , Ramsom Pesto with Hazelnuts and now some Ramsom Infused Salt - What else can I make from it? Looking for inspiration.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I dry a load every year, makes a great stew seasoning, also lacto-ferment it, wild garlic saurkraut! Also, learn to make butter, add it to the mix, fresh or dry, works really well and freezes well.

Stop!!!

You had me at ' Lacto-Ferment' -...… How do I do that then oh wise one???

As for drying what do you do , just shred the leaves or leave them whole??

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
20200322_160921.jpg

Meet my little wild garlic patch in the garden. Norbet the gnome at the door of his flowerpot home, topped by drunko the legless dragon. Flanked by ruff the dog and bernie bunny, with Ellis the shy elf peeping out from behind the tree.
A magical little spot.

Reactions: TeeDee

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Superb pesto TeeDee. I was chatting to a chef at one of our local pubs a week or so ago, and we got on the subject of wild garlic. He went to the kitchen and showed me his pasta. Bright green ravioli filled with lobster and crayfish, it looked delicious.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Superb pesto TeeDee. I was chatting to a chef at one of our local pubs a week or so ago, and we got on the subject of wild garlic. He went to the kitchen and showed me his pasta. Bright green ravioli filled with lobster and crayfish, it looked delicious.

I was actually thinking about smashing out some Nettle Pasta tomorrow.

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE