Rainy Day Whittlin'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I have some lacemakers bobbins but they are all wood.

Have to try one of your needles one day
If you do carve a net needle, post a piccie up, always nice to see what others are carving

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Actually, there's a thought for your carving. A netting rocket needle. Well, that's what I know it as. It's basically a bit of branch, mine's a little over an inch in diameter and a handspan long. The end is carved like a rocket, and below that the shaft is thinned down to about half an inch until the bottom half inch bit which is left just as thick as the branch.
Is this the type of thing you were meaning?.

It's not as big as the dimensions you gave as i didn't have anything that large (supplies are starting to run low until eldest comes up from Dorset to coppice some of my Hazels), so i used a piece of Aspen, hence why the tip is not as pointy as id like because of the pith.

53487405902_7a2256cfdc_c.jpg

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes :)
That's a very posh looking one :)
I find them handy in the garden. Usually they're just something quick made up to wind line around to get in and out of the net with no fankling, or to wrap cordage I'm making into a tidy sort of thing.

I do have, and I do make, netting needles with the centre prong, but they're a sort of stop and wind and then do it again kind of tool. This one just runs like a lace bobbin with a hitch.

Handy to run builder's line on, useful stuff in the garden. That long pointy end on yours' has an appeal. It could just be shovedi into the ground to keep the end taut.

M

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Yes :)
That's a very posh looking one :)
I find them handy in the garden. Usually they're just something quick made up to wind line around to get in and out of the net with no fankling, or to wrap cordage I'm making into a tidy sort of thing.

I do have, and I do make, netting needles with the centre prong, but they're a sort of stop and wind and then do it again kind of tool. This one just runs like a lace bobbin with a hitch.

Handy to run builder's line on, useful stuff in the garden. That long pointy end on yours' has an appeal. It could just be shovedi into the ground to keep the end taut.

M
I'll try making a larger one when i get the Hazel out of the garden, it's also given me an idea for a dispenser, but i'll have to get one of the boys when they come back this way to go for a walk up the lane for materials - keep you posted.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Never seen anything like that before.

Might it benefit from a ”keeper” notch on the back end.
I might turn one just to play with.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Been at it again, different style of needle/shuttle/reel made from a Beech lolly stick. I used a small drill set in a pin vice to make a hole, then used the small blade on my SAK to whittle out the void.

It would probably make a good chip fork too ;)

53490536198_19fa4aebce_c.jpg

53489490587_8dac0df1bd_c.jpg

And the two needles all loaded up and ready to rock and roll

53490688804_fd110ef35c_c.jpg

• Love

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Been at it again, different style of needle/shuttle/reel made from a Beech lolly stick. I used a small drill set in a pin vice to make a hole, then used the small blade on my SAK to whittle out the void.

With the cord attached you could eat your chips from 10ft away :)

Impressive as ever, inspiring me to get back to whittling!

Reactions: Kepis

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

That's like my weaving shuttles :) There's a variety with a beater bar sort of on one edge that's awfully useful on an inkle loom.....and might be handy to beat up if using to make straps by hand too. Tump straps.

Reactions: Kepis and Pattree

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Is this the type of thing you were meaning?.

It's not as big as the dimensions you gave as i didn't have anything that large (supplies are starting to run low until eldest comes up from Dorset to coppice some of my Hazels), so i used a piece of Aspen, hence why the tip is not as pointy as id like because of the pith.

53487405902_7a2256cfdc_c.jpg

From that picture, looks like they are a form of the bobbins for tapestry weaving. Usually that are more rounded off so the bobbin doesn't snag.

(For those who are not familiar, tapestry weaving has nothing to do with embroidery, it's actually a highly manual type of detailed weaving done on a simple frame of warp strings. Easy to have a go at as all you need is a frame, some warp string, some bobbins and some wool or other fibre for the weft.)

GC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE