rainy day tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
as the weather is now heating up ive cut down on some of my kit.
inc (foolishly i know) carrying dry tinder. the other day i got caught out an i only had silver birch bark to fall back on.
what's your favourite or most effective wet day fire starting method?????

Jun 4, 2010
Slovakia
In wet conditions I personaly prefer birchbark + dead (brown) pine/spruce needles as a very fine kindling. For a tinder I use either birchbark or ladies tampon. Always trying to protect the young fire with my body/basha...etc. I heard, that strips of bike tire work well, when lit by the lighter - will have to give it a try sometimes.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Birch bark, cotton wool, both with the firesteel Vaseline added if needed.
Bike inner tube and lighter if rearly wet.
Feathersticks to extend, or on its own with the sparks.
Split wood after that, or dry kindling/mainfuel, found under evergreen trees with large canopies.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
birch bark 'paper' and the finest birch twigs - has never let me down to the extent I never carry 'stock' bar the odd bits of birch paper I collect in my pockets as I go....

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Depends how 'natural' you want to go or if you want a method using modern materials. For the natural route, as mentioned, then it's feather sticks, birch bark, camp ball funguis etc.. Then there is things like like maya sticks, that are pretty good. For the man made route then it's haed to beat things like rubber buke tube, a bit of hexamine (just to get things started), BBQ lighters etc... as well as the standard cotton wool & vaseline, fine wire wool, tinder cards, alcohol based hand cleaners etc.. Whatever the weather looks like I always try to have a small amount of some of the above in my pack to give myself several options in case the more traditional ways like charcloth are not working for you.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
fatwood or birch bark are the best and are almost waterproof, i'l use these with a firesteel over matches or lighters any day. my other favorite tinder is bark from honeysuckel, this fluffs up real well and can be used with a firesteel or embers but is not at all water resistant.

lumps of pine resin collected from wounded trees is a good fuel to use between tinder and small twigs to make fire starting more reliable in bad weather. this is like a natural equivalent to the strips of rubber tyre.

imo natural is best, you can't find hexi blocks or vasaline in the wild! welll if im honist im never far wayay enough from society that made tinder isn't practicle but its just more bushcrafty.

pete

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
imo natural is best, you can't find hexi blocks or vasaline in the wild! welll if im honist im never far wayay enough from society that made tinder isn't practicle but its just more bushcrafty.
pete

I wouldn't say I stumple across fatwood everyday in the wild though! As I've mentioned before, you can make a reasonable substitute by pickling some kindling in wd40!

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
I wouldn't say I stumple across fatwood everyday in the wild though! As I've mentioned before, you can make a reasonable substitute by pickling some kindling in wd40!

fatwood is very easy to get hold of when you know where to look, i've got tonnes of the stuff. dont just try the stumps, sometimes dead fallen pines can contain quite alot as well.

TJ

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I like the idea of tinder in WD40, must give that a try. I like to try something new with a firesteel every time I go out, when possable, but it's always nice to know that you have a few alternatives in your pack for when you really need a brew rather than just practicing your firelighting.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
fatwood is very easy to get hold of when you know where to look, i've got tonnes of the stuff. dont just try the stumps, sometimes dead fallen pines can contain quite alot as well.

TJ

I agree fatwood is easy to find if you know where to look, the knots where branches join the main tree is the best place. Why buy Maya sticks from South America when you can produce your own here?

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
I agree fatwood is easy to find if you know where to look, the knots where branches join the main tree is the best place. Why buy Maya sticks from South America when you can produce your own here?

when harvesting the fat wood am i loking for dark seams of resin or do i take any timber?

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
darks seems of resin, also give it a sniff, it smells very strongly of pine resin, i've had some before strong enough to make your eyes water ;)

TJ

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
birch bark or really fine feather sticks.. i find a really sharp serrated blade is great for really fine feather sticks.... and also i collect the thinest birch bark as i walk and put it in my pocket that really does make a big difference to how easily it lights from a spark.. i am not a happy bunny if i have to resort to matches.... he he

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE