Rabbit Kits this year...anyone else plagued?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rabbits seem to have bred up early this year - we are getting a seeming plague of kits much earlier and in greater numbers than normal. I don't know if the mild Winter means late litters survived or the does started breeding earlier because of the early Spring but I having to trap and shoot and am hardly making a dent.

Anyone else seeing more than normal?

Red

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
More here too. Well, im finding more ears and feet than I normally do. The old cat and the young terrier seem to work well together, despite everything seen in popular culture.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I can't remember the last time there were this many friers around the place, we've got them in places where coneys haven't been seen in a decade or more, and I think it's likely that both the mild winter and the early spring are to blame, as you remark on above. We also have a not-so-elegant sufficiency of squirrels and I suspect for the same reasons.............

I rose at daybreak on Friday morning and went to the window to say hello to the world and was greeted by the sight of three rabbits feasting on my garden and half a dozen squirrels in the paddock beyond..................and I can't do much about things at the moment as I'm still recovering from this year's surgery on both hands, and I swear the little 5ods are aware of the fact that I'm no threat to them!

My day will come, and I'll give 'em "What's up, Doc?" :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I slotted two along the hedge line tonight (watching my backstop and shooting away from the hedge of course). My neighbours voice drifted over after the first shot "well that relaxed muscles I didn't want relaxed" :) I hadn't heard him and he hadn't seen me easing along. My reply was of course

"Shhhhh be vewwy vewwy quiet.....I'm hunting wabbits" :D

aza148

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2009
south yorks, penistone
I've got quite a few of them knocking round my area but I think I'm lucky as the cats keep them away but I would definitely stew them if they came into the garden.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Jackdaw

Loads here. Have been like this for the past couple of years. I think something will finally get done about them round here as they have started tearing up the cricket pitch which is hallowed turf and sacrosanct. Expecting the call soon!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
It's been a shameful amount of time since I've been out with a rifle. So long in fact I fear I may be out of practice. :(

I need to rectify that when I head to Dorset.

I rarely see many rabbits near me on the Wirral which surprised me.

Andy

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think the wet weather has done in for many of ours. Still seeing droppings so they're not all gone but we used to have at least 5 running across the drive every night when we got home but none now.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I think the wet weather has done in for many of ours. Still seeing droppings so they're not all gone but we used to have at least 5 running across the drive every night when we got home but none now.

Same here, hardly any about - found loads if dead adult rabbits from over winter. They'll be back in no time though!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Demonwolf444

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Ripon, North Yorkshire
Mild winter cut our ferreting season a bit short. Lands too well used at the moment to tackle the numbers - high rape crops and sheep with lambs in the paddocks so yeh have a lot of rabbits about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE