rabbit infection?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 11, 2006
grays,essex
I have been out shooting with a friend tonight doing some pest control on the local golf course. When I was skinning one rabbit I noticed a large liquid filled blister on the rib cage in the stomach cavity and a smaller one on the shoulder.
When I cut open the blister a clear liqid ran out and inside were small white blobs for want of a better word. My friend has never encountered this before so we discarded the meat to be on the safe side. Any insight to what this may be would be greatly appreciated.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
My betting would be a cyst - quite possibly worm.

Proper cooking of the meat would deal with anything of that nature, but unless you were desperate for the meat why take the chance.

If in doubt, dispose of safely and double scrutinise cleaning blade and hands etc.

A good argument for wearing gloves and carrying suitable hand clensing agent - but I am about as guilty as anyone else on practising whats preached!

Outdoorsman

Feb 24, 2007
Wiltshire
the only common wild rabbit disease I've ever heard of is mxymatosis, but only yong rabbits can catch it and only in spring/winter time, I dont think it would cause a blister either. As the other replies stated it was most likely a cyst.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
rheece hodgetts said:
I have been out shooting with a friend tonight doing some pest control on the local golf course. When I was skinning one rabbit I noticed a large liquid filled blister on the rib cage in the stomach cavity and a smaller one on the shoulder.
To be honest if not sure I would have burnt it to avoid spreading disease to other wildlife. But then any excuse for fire :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE