Rabbit entrails - who's the culprit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
On my woodland I've just found a rabbit tail and most of the intact body cavity contents, but nothing else. Although I wouldn't rule out someone poaching it's highly unlikely for several reasons so it seems some critter is responsible. So, what animal would be able to carefully remove the intestines from a bunny and then take everything else including the legs, head etc? There's plenty of wildlife about - from foxes to buzzards.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
sounds like what ide do,let the critters have a free meal and with fortnightly bin collections i wouldnt want rabbit innerds hanging a bout two weeks.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Why rule out people?

It's private land which I own that I spend a fair bit of time on and I've never seen anyone wandering about, I often have a trail camera up to see what wildlife is about and that's never caught anyone, there's not many rabbits about so if you're shooting them you'd be there for ages, the land is remote and there's far better places to poach, I've never found a snare or trap about, it's obvious I'm often about and the entrails weren't hidden but out in the open etc, etc.

I agree though, it looks similar to when I gut a rabbit, although I don't recall any liver or lungs. The last bit or large intestine seemed to connected to the anus with bit of fur but wasn't still connected to the tail.

There are cats about and some are rescue cats so I expect they can fend for themselves. Rumour has it there's a leopard about as well. :lol:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Mmmm ........... I don't know any animal other than a human that can remove the intestines without damaging the membrane & the fact that the kidneys are missing really does point to a two legged rat.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
YEaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!

I've seen this before... On my living room floor! My ex wife had a couple of gnarly cats that were always hunting something or other - one of them left me exactly what you describe (including a tail) on the floor. Gawd knows what happened to the bones etc, maybe the cat gralloched the thing and brought back the intestine and tail as a trophy / present for me.... :confused:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'll keep an eye out for anyone milling about or any other signs.

Druids........?

That may not be as unlikely as it sounds, there are a few strange people about. And animals for that matter, this is a photo from a couple of days ago from my trail camera.

fox2.jpg

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
YEaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!

I've seen this before... On my living room floor! My ex wife had a couple of gnarly cats that were always hunting something or other - one of them left me exactly what you describe (including a tail) on the floor. Gawd knows what happened to the bones etc, maybe the cat gralloched the thing and brought back the intestine and tail as a trophy / present for me.... :confused:

That's, erm, reassuring.:lmao:

I notice one of my neighbours cats has eaten a small rodent and thrown the whole thing back up in my garden. There's this strange dead animal with fur on the inside and a spine & guts on the outside, looks like a mini-beast from The Thing.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
That may not be as unlikely as it sounds, there are a few strange people about. And animals for that matter, this is a photo from a couple of days ago from my trail camera.

fox2.jpg

Foxes & sinse I can't see any willies, probably vixens...........................................If you find any sandal prints, it's defo druids.;)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
That's, erm, reassuring.:lmao:

There's this strange dead animal with fur on the inside and a spine & guts on the outside, looks like a mini-beast from The Thing.

It's been turned inside out, could be a fox or badger that did that ..................... wolves often turn sheep inside out as they hate the wool.

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I thought they must be prehistoric.;) Yes, a couple of rather large foxes. Here's a more normal photo.

fox1.jpg

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
..... I've never seen anyone wandering about, I often have a trail camera up to see what wildlife is about and that's never caught anyone, .....I've never found a snare or trap about,

you wont either mate,poachers were recruited by Churchill for his secret army aka auxiliary units, a chap i know locally is quite the woodsman,has been near trod on before now int dark by gamekeepers,i would imagine that the entrails were hid butt some critters dragged them out into view.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE