R&D pocket stove / multi fuel candle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
With regards to the stricker could you not put a ferro rod insert into the lid you could then strike it onto the wick using the edge of the longer piece a bit like those flashbangs you get at painball

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, was thinking a piece of small piece steel tube, with a section cut away.

Best thing way I can think to describe it is a large electrical crimp spade, the spade provides the scraper and the wick comes up through the crimp section. That can them be inserted into the alu housing.

The idea is a ferrorod in one hand, and gizmo in the other, and it'd (hopefully) strikes a light.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
With regards to the stricker could you not put a ferro rod insert into the lid you could then strike it onto the wick using the edge of the longer piece a bit like those flashbangs you get at painball

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Will see when I get an idea.

Yeah, was thinking a piece of small piece steel tube, with a section cut away.

Best thing way I can think to describe it is a large electrical crimp spade, the spade provides the scraper and the wick comes up through the crimp section. That can them be inserted into the alu housing.

The idea is a ferrorod in one hand, and gizmo in the other, and it'd (hopefully) strikes a light.

ok this gave me an idea. Now to do more R&D.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
This is the original intention. As a mini stove that fits in the pocket.

P8180031_zpsgghar7q3.jpg

P8180029_zpsyc33hu6x.jpg

Burn time 26 minutes
Ambient temperature 24°C
Volume of water 500ml

Result: fail to bring the water to a boil!

But when the fire dies down, you can fill the top and the sudden cooling will suck the fuel into the tank but only half way. Should be enough to continue to boil the water.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I used to use a variety of kerosene lanterns. One of them had a 'circular' wick (actually a flat wick fed through a circular slit). The design of the lamp allowed air to flow up the centre of the wick 'circle' as well as around the outside. Made a huge difference; the lamp was more efficient, less sooty, etc.

Maybe you could explore a similar concept?

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Used a 1" tube rather then the 5/8" previously. 10% more fuel and manage to boil the 500ml water. Burn time about 28 minutes.

Just light the wick! No need to prime.

P8190032_zpsdzht3meg.jpg

P8190034_zpsfokxc7w0.jpg

I used to use a variety of kerosene lanterns. One of them had a 'circular' wick (actually a flat wick fed through a circular slit). The design of the lamp allowed air to flow up the centre of the wick 'circle' as well as around the outside. Made a huge difference; the lamp was more efficient, less sooty, etc.

Maybe you could explore a similar concept?

Do you have a photo?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE