Quinine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Not much of a thread, just thought someone might want to see what quinine looks like, and maybe ID a plant that Kenyans use for indigestion/ stomach upsets. They said that they still use quinine for malaria, though they said malaria isn't a problem locallly. They take it as an infusion. It looks like this:

P9080236.jpg

They also had a lot of wild mint, and said that they used it for smudge fires to keep mosquitos away. This last one is used for stomach upsets, but they didn't know the english name:

P9080235.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you :D
Would you mind if I copied your Quinine photo for my herb book ? It's just a folder of plant details for my own use. I know it doesn't grow here, but it is very interesting :cool:

I have got to learn more botany :eek:
Weird seeds on that mint from out viewpoint, aren't they ?

cheers,
M

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
lol rik dont spoil it with to much gin though eh!

Interesting use of the wild mint as a smudge fire Phil. Did you see it in action would be good to know if it worked.

Cheers for the info.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I went to Kenya a few years back and we went on a local walk in the village (was it watamu?) they showed us the quinine and also a few other plants but unfortunately i didnt have my camera and I forgot them soon after so thanks for this.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
You can do whatever you want with the photo, Toddy, including editing/ sharing. It was very polite of you to ask.

I didn't put it very clearly, but the mint looks the same as here - except drier! :) - so I didn't take a photo. The second photo is the other plant I mentioned that they use for stomach upsets. I think the fruit look like little strawberries!

The quinine tastes bitter and foul, but I can place it in gin, now you mention it!

I've never used a smudge fire, but I guess anything that gives off smoke would work. They probably use mint to make the smoke more tolerable for themselves!

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Aye would make a more pleasant smell but I agree ref the smoke just wondered if there was anything in it that particularly drives the pesky little gits away.

I think the quinine is in the tonic water, but im not fond of gin either until its infused with Sloes or Plums!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE