Quilts vs blankets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Being a bit of a lump and truly hating feeling constricted at all I am never the most comfortable in a sleeping bag despite doing so for years. So I thought it time to have a looksee at a quilt. Having had a glance there all seemingly very pricey.
Anyone feel the same and switched over to a quilt? Was it a success for you, what you recommend?

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm a little lady and sleeping bags just do not fit. They are far too long, too constricting around my hips and bust, and I just hate the inability to move around easily.

Last time I went to the Moot I took a quilt instead. I made a dark green cover out of plain cotton that I bought cheaply, went to Tesco and bought an ordinary single bed quilt, and just used that.
It was excellent :) I was comfortable, it was easy to shake it out and air it, it was lightweight, it packed down small in a decent stuff sack.
I don't think I could be bothered with a sleeping bag again.

M

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I'm a little lady and sleeping bags just do not fit. They are far too long, too constricting around my hips and bust, and I just hate the inability to move around easily.

Last time I went to the Moot I took a quilt instead. I made a dark green cover out of plain cotton that I bought cheaply, went to Tesco and bought an ordinary single bed quilt, and just used that.
It was excellent :) I was comfortable, it was easy to shake it out and air it, it was lightweight, it packed down small in a decent stuff sack.
I don't think I could be bothered with a sleeping bag again.

M
Excellent stuff Miss/Missus Toddy, you have made me think ( oh shut up at the back there, I do think time to time ) do you have any pics of your set up?

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Switched from bag to a top quilt in the hammock and I don't see myself going back to a bag unless it's sub-zero temps. The Snugpak top quilt is around £30 so doesn't break the bank and for me is good down to around 5C (wearing Merino base layers). I have also recently bought the Snugpak Jungle Blanket for the family to use while camping but only has around 1/3 of insulating material compared to the top quilt. For me the top quilt it's one of the best things I have purchased for camping and at that cost, it's an absolute steal.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent stuff Miss/Missus Toddy, you have made me think ( oh shut up at the back there, I do think time to time ) do you have any pics of your set up

I'm sorry, but I don't. I use an exped down mat, and the quilt. In Winter I take along one of those beautiful thick Dutch wool blankets, also dark green coloured :) Just to throw over the top if necessary.
Lie on a bit of the quilt and pull the rest over me. Snug :) cosy and easy to move around.
In Summer it was easy to just push it down when I got too warm.

The quilt also goes into the washing machine and spins nearly dry. So no fuss if it gets smokey or something gets spilled on it at camp. It's also very comfortable in the camping chair at night when sitting around a fire. No cold back, iimmc ?

M

Reactions: Big Si and CLEM

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I'm sorry, but I don't. I use an exped down mat, and the quilt. In Winter I take along one of those beautiful thick Dutch wool blankets, also dark green coloured :) Just to throw over the top if necessary.
Lie on a bit of the quilt and pull the rest over me. Snug :) cosy and easy to move around.
In Summer it was easy to just push it down when I got too warm.

The quilt also goes into the washing machine and spins nearly dry. So no fuss if it gets smokey or something gets spilled on it at camp. It's also very comfortable in the camping chair at night when sitting around a fire. No cold back, iimmc ?

M
I reckon I shall be doing very similar very shortly :)

Reactions: Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a "barrel bag". Sleeping bag of down top and Holofill bottom. Regular width at top and bottom but 50% wider in the middle so I can thrash around in comfort. When I turn over, the whole bag stays in place, no stretched tight spots at all. Also means room for boots, butane stove and so on.
It's old, like me. I don't know if that design is still made by anybody.

In the house, I went back from a big quilt to a pair of blankets. The quilt never stayed in place, it was all or nothing, a real P.O. at 3AM to find enough of it to get warm.

I never thought of taking a quilt on a camping trip. Queen-size, folded in half on a single pad? Sounds very attractive.

Reactions: Toddy and CLEM

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Being a bit of a lump and truly hating feeling constricted at all I am never the most comfortable in a sleeping bag despite doing so for years. So I thought it time to have a looksee at a quilt. Having had a glance there all seemingly very pricey.
Anyone feel the same and switched over to a quilt? Was it a success for you, what you recommend?
I often use an unzipped sleeping bag as a quilt, especially nice if you leave the footbox intact so that you can put your feet in there for extra warmth.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tried that, but found the hood, etc., most uncomfortable at my face and neck, and the opened sides of the zip down to the shaped foot were a scratchy annoyance.
I was actually more comfortable in the old two blankets folded in thirds than in the opened sleeping bag.

Each to their own though.

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I tried that, but found the hood, etc., most uncomfortable at my face and neck, and the opened sides of the zip down to the shaped foot were a scratchy annoyance.
I was actually more comfortable in the old two blankets folded in thirds than in the opened sleeping bag.

Each to their own though.

M

I have used one of those square sleeping bags without a hood. Gets rid of that hood on face problem if it's a nuisance, but I use a normal mummy bag, and find that the hood can be quite useful when it's chilly, just make sure it's to one side and put it under your head. Keeps the bag in place and your head warm.
It's a bit awkward to explain exactly how I do it, but a bit of experiment should work it out..

Reactions: SaraR

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Honestly, the quilt is just so easy in comparison. I think we're kind of hung up on sleeping bags when they're really not ideal, especially getting in and out in the middle of the night.
For years I just opened up my mummy bag and used it like a quilt in summer, then I thought that that was stupid, and not terribly comfortable anyway.
It's not as though I'm camping in the arctic, and the quilt actually is easier to care for than the sleeping bag too.

As I said though; each to their own.

Reactions: CLEM

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Honestly, the quilt is just so easy in comparison. I think we're kind of hung up on sleeping bags when they're really not ideal, especially getting in and out in the middle of the night.
For years I just opened up my mummy bag and used it like a quilt in summer, then I thought that that was stupid, and not terribly comfortable anyway.
It's not as though I'm camping in the arctic, and the quilt actually is easier to care for than the sleeping bag too.

As I said though; each to their own.
Absolutely! :) But since I've already got a nice cosy down sleeping bag and it works well for me, I'm happy to keep using that.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I have used one of those square sleeping bags without a hood. Gets rid of that hood on face problem if it's a nuisance, but I use a normal mummy bag, and find that the hood can be quite useful when it's chilly, just make sure it's to one side and put it under your head. Keeps the bag in place and your head warm.
It's a bit awkward to explain exactly how I do it, but a bit of experiment should work it out..
i usually place the hood over/under my shoulder. Whatever works, but worth exploring before buiyng new stuff. :)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have an army surplus jungle bag which I can unzip fully to use like a blanket. I also have a surplus poncho liner which I have had for decades and its awesome. Lightweight, warm enough during spring and summer and easy to clean.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: CLEM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE