quiet trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
Hi Guys. Has anyone got a reccomendation for a quiet pair of trousers? I've been wearing Kiwis's for a good while and they're versatile, but very loud!
Ta.

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
I know what you mean, theres something about some materials that just feel 'stiff'. I think lightweights are soft and silent though, if you can get some green lightweights, should be fairly cheap too. That, or fabric softener :)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
For winter, pants made out of the same material as the "pile" jackets, are sold everywhere in the u.s. to hunters. Generally in camo. Cheap (relatively), warm, comfortable, shed water amazingly well, and of course, don't make a sound. However, if it turns warm on you, you are going to die of heat stroke.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
If you can find them still 5.11 TDU Pant cotton Twill not the ripstop versions. I have a pair of both, the twill are more comfortable than the ripstop and quieter.

Normally about £35-40 a pair the twill come in Black, Navy and TDU Green sizes are not in numbers they are Small medium large etc.

Try polimil but i'm pretty sure they are to be discontinued

http://polimil.co.uk/acatalog/5_11_TDU_Poly_Cotton_Twill_Pant__30_20.html

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I tend to wear the lined Craghoppers for winter or a pair of the Paramo overtrousers - warm enough with just thermals. The Paramos are bloody dear though - bombproof but dear!!!

bonzodog

Oct 1, 2008
norfolk
i got two pairs of 5.11s in heavy cotton from ebay last week,grey only but at £24.95 per pair delivered a bargain

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
Thank you all for your replies.
Having looked at the Fjall Raven site I've realised another facet of my quest - you see, I'm only a 32" waist and a lot of this gear seems to start at 34" (why is that?).
As for cotton... I live in Snowdonia and have a neon-like sign that blinks "cotton kills". Ventile then? Expensive, but is it quiet? Anyone wear ventile?
Wool might be good for the winter - anyone reccomend a good wool trouser?
Thanks again

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Having looked at the Fjall Raven site I've realised another facet of my quest - you see, I'm only a 32" waist and a lot of this gear seems to start at 34" (why is that?).
As for cotton... I live in Snowdonia and have a neon-like sign that blinks "cotton kills". Ventile then? Expensive, but is it quiet? Anyone wear ventile?
Thanks again

Linen is pretty good. Plenty available on the highstreet.

The 1940s pattern Swedish Army trousers are great -- grey wool with a high waist. They're getting a little few and far between though. Filson is always good, but you pay for that.

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
Thanks again

I've got some Fjall Raven trousers in 32" and they are hard wearing and quite:D

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I was a 32 once myself, (gets dreamy, far-away look in eye) Then later, of course I was a 34, Then one day I went to bed a 34 and when I woke up in the morning I was somehow a 36.

I think that happened the same day that I went into the bathroom to shave, and half way through shaving, I realized I was grooming some old guy I barely recognized. I swear he was not in that mirror the day before. How did this happen?

http://www.filson.com/product/index...=CN-uk_LJm6ECFQ8eDQodYHT6wQ&parentPage=family

Filson is of the absolute highest quality. This is probably the best cotton outdoor clothing made in America, but a pair of pants is 135.00 dollars.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...KW+Box&s=SEARCH&a=search&k=surplus+wool+pants

I buy things from sportsmansguide all the time, and there service is quick and good, no hesitation about replacing defective goods. The military surplus prices are the best I have ever found.

For example, right now they are offering a "British Military Soldier 2000 Desert Jacket, DPM Camo.
(brand new, never issued, in sm, med, lg, Xl, or 2xl for $29.97. I'll bet the thread in this jacket cost more than that!

Anyone on here familiar with this particular jacket? I'm thinking seriously about getting one. Though some of you might have real knowledge of this jacket. It is hooded and has slant chest pockets, cotton/polyester blend, drawstring at waist and at bottom, adjustable velcro type cuffs. It looks very nice.

Don't know if they ship to U.K. or not. I'm sure if you check out the website you will be able to find out.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE