quick question

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I know this has been asked and answered before I just cant remember where. In one of the polish tipi tents that EVERYBODY got :D would a tea light in a lantern, (pretty much identicalto the one in the picture) be a sufficient heat source?

candle%20lantern_124.jpg

Thanks

Well it depends on lots of factors: outside temperature, wind, what bag you are in etc. In almost all UK conditions you are going to be fine with out any heat, but a small heat source could help keep the condensation down, and make things more comfortable. Perhaps choose one specifically designed for camping use though, as it's probably going to be safer.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As David said, in the UK (or certainly the UK where this tent would stand up to local climate) you don't need a heat source so any you provide is a luxury/bonus. The candle lantern? not a lot of heat given the drafts you will get in these tents, a paraffin hurricane lantern will give a lot more and a gas lantern would see you toasty warm.

How many winter hill walkers take a dedicated tent heater with them? Not a lot, many moons ago when I was winter camping in Snowdonia or the Brecon Beacons we would cook on a Primus stove often in the tent or tent doorway ( I know :eek: ) and then just get snug in our sleeping bags.

The human body throws out a lot of heat and that heat when trapped in a sleeping bag suitable to your situation will see you sleep just fine.

The thought of woodburners in these little tents as suggested by some frightens me. :( Sorry to drag this up, but a woodburner of any kind in a tent that small is an accident waiting to happen:eek:

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
I;ve got a little lantern similar to this - safe as houses. Never thought of taking it out in the woods, though - bit too bulky to fit in my rucksack.

I tend to use tealight candles just to give a little bit of cost light - not enought light to read with though.

I cut the bottom couple of inches off a half litre plastic bottle - tealight fits inside and the bottle keeps the wind off. Burns for around 4 hours.

I always blow the light out before going to sleep though.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The thought of woodburners in these little tents as suggested by some frightens me. :( Sorry to drag this up, but a woodburner of any kind in a tent that small is an accident waiting to happen:eek:

I've been thinking the same myself, I'm hoping my Feurhand lamp will kick out enough heat if I need it. I've been hammocking recently so still haven't had a night out in mine yet.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
i had a few of these lanterns for the garden sold them up the boot fair in the end. i wouldnt want to take them camping as they are big and the glass is thin, all in all i would say to flimsy to carry about

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I plan on using a small tin can with holes drilled through to let out a bit of light, using the next size up candles from tea lights. Will do it the week before Christmas locally.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
UCO candle lantern, a bit more expensive but compact and packable. They also do a bigger version with 3 candles.

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
NO CANDLES IN TENTS....EVER!!!

a local woman here took four kids camping, two kids in one of the tents died from Co2 poisoning!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE