Quick Paracord Projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Morning!! I need to pick your collective brains please as I'm in the process of moving house and I've packed my paracord book and my mind is blank!!

I've been asked to run a paracord base on the next Beaver camp. Will have about half an hour and 3 - 4 kids at a time. I've made keyrings with them before so would like to do something different. Bracelets wont be possible as there isn't enough time and I'd rather they had a finished project to take away with them without me finishing it for them. Although I can make a bracelet in 10 minutes, from experience it takes kids about an hour the first time they make one.

Done the usual google searches but can't find anything that appeals to me and will appeal to them.

Thanks.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
I think that would be too difficult for them. Nice idea though as a monkeys fist has other uses in Scouting. This is for 6 & 7 year olds so can't be too complex.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
if you have a look though the tiat vids that Steve linked he has tons of ideas. How about woggles though

[video=youtube;I-GTAGkSR_A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-GTAGkSR_A[/video]

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Thanks, I'll have a look through.

The problem with woggles is their hands are so small at that age the turks head becomes a difficult knot to tie. Also paracord doesn't make a very good turks head, it needs varnishing afterwards to make it go hard and not stay all floppy.

Sorry if I sound negative so far...

Mal-J-Swaine

Apr 6, 2014
North East Kent
I don't suppose you're off to East Grinstead tomorrow? If you are you may see my younger sibling. What about a small para cord key fob/lanyard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
I'm not, no. Bit too far east for me! Is there an event on this weekend then?

Decided to make lanyards with them in our group colours. Will give them something they can use then, even if it's just to hang their torches on so they don't drop them!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Neck lanyards are quick to make, can be done to varying degrees of difficulty, and if thought out will teach them a variety of knots. Needless to say they are a useful item they can then take home.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Love the idea of the bumble bee as that's our group mascot. No way we could get them done in half an hour though!

I've simplified my usual design of lanyard to make sure they get them finished, but will still look good and give them a new skill.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Neck lanyards are quick to make, can be done to varying degrees of difficulty, and if thought out will teach them a variety of knots. Needless to say they are a useful item they can then take home.

That's the sort of stuff I'd do, even just simple ones- that's all I can make! ;)

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
If I did that they'd end up throwing rocks at me!! Might have to make a special leader one though ;-)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I like to make them out of braided leather thong cord

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Bit late, bit how about a mini knot board for another time. Maybe three or four knots, learn them and then test the beavers at the end to see if they can do them from memory. Mount the made knots on a card board to keep and show their parents what they have learnt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE