Quick Overview - Rodir Alcohol Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
I saw the Rodir Alcohol Stove advertised in the latest issue of Bushcraft & Survival Skills magazine.

http://www.rodiralcoholstoves.co.uk/index/index

I contacted Dugald at Rodir and he offered to send one through to me to try out. This was sent Saturday and arrived today.

I work some long hours so dont get a huge amount of time in the week, but wanted to share first impressions with you all and will do some more structured tests next week (as I am on holiday all week).

So first off, some pics:

The stove 3/4 view

The stove - side view

The stove - view from above

The stove - view from below

The stove is really well made.

The stove pan stands fold in/out and create a stable cooking platform.

Inside the fuel chamber is a wick around the inner circumference. and a central hole through the fuel chamber, which causes the flames to converge to the centre of the cooking pot.

Due to limited time, I only put a very small amount of meths in the chamber and 300ml of water in an ali pan.

I ran the stove for about 2 minutes until it ran out (remember only a tiny bit of fuel) with the pan on it. I allowed it to cool and again put a small amount of meths in it and relit it (which is what I videoed so you can se the flame pattern). It burned for a further 2 minutes 30 seconds after which the water was close to boiling. Note this was not a scientific test - just a quick overview.

Here's the video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgzbb1tZ4fc

I will post some updated info regarding boil times etc next week.

Regards

Paul

Last edited:

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
That's an interesting design, especially the way it burns. Looks like it works like a wood gas burner with meths.

Hrm. I have a few cans kicking about...

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Would be useful to find out the boil time for 500ml of water if you could do one! It says 6 mins on the website but equipment blurb can't usually be trusted.

How rugged are the legs? They look quite thin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE