Questions about a bushmoot

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
From what I gather, these are either overnight or weekend get togethers where you folks share knowledge, swap stories, and tilt a few back (ok, a little jealous). Are these ad-hoc meets, or are they organized through some sort of school, store, or other sponsor? I am a little jealous that we dont have meets over here in the US like you folks do in the UK. It seems every weekend a bunch of you get together for a bushmoot, night out, or whatever. I feel that, here, we miss out on that, and was wondering how much effort & time one puts into organizing an event?
And, one last thing; I am considering a trip across the pond, possibly in September. I may actually time it for one of your bushmoots, just to meet some of you, swap stories, and so I can poke fun at your accents ;). Is this something that is welcomed, or generally frowned upon?
Go easy on me with the responses...I'm a sensitive guy!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
The weekend meets tend to be organised by whoever wants to do so. In order for the meet to work they obviously need to either own the land on which the meet will be held or (more commonly) will have liased with the landowner to secure access.
The main Moot is held on the last weekend of July, and is organised by those who run this forum. As the Moot is such a large event it obviously takes a good deal more organisation than a few mates meeting up on a relatively informal weekender.
I'm sure that if your visit to the UK were to coincide with either type of event you would be made to feel welcome if you were able to attend.

For more info on whats going on check out the "Meetups and social chatter" part of the forum. For info on the main event of the year search the forum/site for "Bushmoot".

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Oldsoldier let me know for sure if and when you are coming to the UK and I will try and sort out a Trangia for you to take back with you, as I know you wanted one :)

Edit: Just checked out your blog and I see you managed to snag one :)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hey oldsoldier, you could probably visit quite a lot of the UK on the 'meet up' circuit if you planned it well!
I'm sure that you would be given a warm welcome too.
You could laugh at the smokers having a fag and the wearing of trousers!!! :D
ATB from Swyn.

L

lukeuk2

i went to the bushmoot last year and really enjoyed it. me and my dad turned up late so we could do many of the activities, but still its was a experience i will always rember. i am already getting my stuff ready for the next one.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Have to plan it through work, but it looks like I may do the annual bushmoot the end of July. Provided airline tickets dont skyrocket. I may ship a few things over prior, that I'll not be allowed to carry on the plane. As it gets closer, I'll put a REAL plan together. As its only a weekend thing, I want to hit a few places over the course of the following week, that I've always wanted to see. So, if there's any tourguides, speak up now!! ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't bring stoves, banned on planes, I can lend you one if you want, a Coleman if you want to feel at home, or a traditional Primus or Optimus 111 type. If you want a knife, you can use a Mora of mine. You only need to bring yourself and a sleeping bag, I'm sure there will be offers of kit and shelter made available without problem.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Thats pretty much what I'm planning on leaving behind; anything sharp and/or flammable. Everything else will go with me. they may question the amount of cordage I carry though ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I doubt cordage would be a problem? others may know more, put up your list of needs and I'm sure they will get ticked, so, up to now you have a

stove
cookset
knife

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE