Question to all you leatherwork masters

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Guys

Just noticing that my knife sheath has seen better days, and only really had it a couple of years. There seem to be a lot of scuffs and scrapes in it, where the leather has been sliced or scratched.

Is there any way to make leather more abrasion resistant?

The sheath itself wasn't cased, would this make it softer?

Any help would be appreciated for my future projects.

Dave

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hiya.....not as far as i know....but luckylee might be able to offer more advice....you can harden leather quite a lot by baking it at a low temp after its been wetformed....ian atkinson of leodis does that....50 degrees for an hour if i remember from his youtube vid, dont quote me. whenever i wetform i leave it to dry naturally and yes it still hardens somewhat....but itll still scratch if something sharp/rough touches it...

when you say cased.....you mean dampened?....see above....

a

ps....you got a pic?....could re-dye it and/or re-finish/polish....should come up looking lovely and aged!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Dipping it in hot wax after it's dried from wet forming would make it a lot harder.. but even that wouldn't stop the little cuts, scrapes etc that come about from daily usage.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It's all part of the character - acrylic coatings like resolene will help to a degree, wax dipping moreso. Your alternative is Kydex or a wooden sheath if it's taking a real hammering.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Grab your self some leather and tools then make a replacement. When that one starts to look beat up you will have the skills to make another replacement.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Yeah i know i could remake one, i made this one in the first place lol, not too bothered about it to be completely honest was just wondering if i was missing a step in my technique.

Main reason is i'm considering knocking a few out for mates and maybe even to flog a couple. but wanted to make sure that i'd done everything i could if you see what i mean

Thanks guys

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I dry my sheaths out in my dehydrator after wet moulding them - hard as Iron!
Oiling them or waxing them then soften them a little.
The still scratch up though!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I find with my belts, the softer the leather the less the scratches show up. I think this is due to any scruffed up surface marks getting warn down and go smooth again, whereas the stiff ones develope more of a genuine 'scratch' that take alot longer to ware down.

I try softening it with saddle wax, that way when it gets all duffed up it'll be easier to rub the marks back into the leather :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
also....if your sheath wasnt looking battered after a coupla years i'd say this....get out more into the woods!!! lol

so....credit to ya! all my users are pretty knackered.

a

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yeah i know i could remake one, i made this one in the first place lol, not too bothered about it to be completely honest was just wondering if i was missing a step in my technique.

Main reason is i'm considering knocking a few out for mates and maybe even to flog a couple. but wanted to make sure that i'd done everything i could if you see what i mean

Thanks guys

Dave

Time to let it go in that case and make another ;) I find wet-formed or dipped they still wear the same be it axe masks or sheathes.
General wear and tear I find all natural just pressure formed lasts the longest in rough and tough. Rolls with the punches more,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE