Question on Deer stalking.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tonedef

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Stockport
When deer stalking do you get to keep/eat whatever you kill ?

or is it at the land owners discretion ?

what sort of costs are involved ?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
To answer your questions Tonedef...

Yes you normally get to keep the deer - although not always, but the landowner will specify this

Costs - how deep are your pockets?
Costs can vary so much it's difficult to say. I'm lucky, I stalk for free because I work part time on the land myself. I'm not sure how much a days stalk would cost tbh.
Some landowners require payment by the kilo (£ per kilo of meat taken) others a flat fee per year, others let the stalking on a daily basis.
Maybe some one else can give a better idea of costs

Hope that helps

Mark

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
Stalking costs can vary depending on what species your going for and the time of year too. Roughly speaking, at this time of year you can pick up a days hind or doe stalking for around £150. In the stag/buck season, it can go much higher though as you might also have to pay a trophy fee too depending on how many points and size of the beasts antlers.
I do take out the odd days stalking to vary my days out as I have the sporting rights to 1400 acres of land and I'm also in a deer syndicate elsewhere.

James

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
hi tone deaf

the price depends on which way you want to go,if you want to lease fc land to stalk you have to have a level 1dsc and be working towards your level2 both ot these cost, level 1 costs around the £300 mark,level 2 your best going out with an accredited witness 3 times for your portfolio,£50 plus each stalk and you still have to pay if you get the shot or not, so it can work out quite expensive,then theres the fc lease, a good sized lease will cost anything from£1500 upward but you get to keep the beasts,so its a dear do excuse the pun.
alternatively you can just buy a days stalking plenty on ebay all round the country,and purchase the beast if lucky at the going rate paid by the game dealer.
but when you mention the word deer your talking money.

hope it helps bernie

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
TD

Think others have about covered it.

Deer Stalking perhaps more than any other of the shooting sports sees a huge range in cost/ price. There are arguably some very negative aspects to the 'free market economy' in this area!

There are some ( alleged ) pitfall offers out there. You dont cover how new to stalking you are, so apologies if flogging the donkey here. If in doubt I would imagine most/ all the experienced stalkers on here would be happy to advise via PM.

Subject to deal you have struck for the outing, basic principle is that carcase belongs to the land owner/ holder of the sporting rights. Most are then happy enough to pass it on to you for a price circa the going rate they'll get from the game dealer.

The Game Handling regs that came in last year do have an impact on what can be done with the carcase - including whether you hold Trained Hunter status.

Good hunting!

Tonedef

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Stockport
Oakleaf,

Very new, I always thought to do any sort of gun sport/hunting you needed an FCA.
Was only following some links from various sites, that you can do weekend type stalks for a few hundred with no FCA and using the estate rifle.

Got me wondering about the costs involved in general.

I found a place in Hexam, which seems to do the DSC stuff and stalking holidays, I was thinking booking myself a course and finding out all the rules and regs and responsibilities before committing large amounts of cash.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Stalking need not be expensive. In fact it is one of the cheaper types of shooting. BASC offer a very reasonably priced 5 day package on Arran. You do need DSC1 and your own rifle/scope, but these can both be obtained for under £500 all in.

It's certainly cheaper than golf in some areas.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Before I had the responsiblility and privilege of managing deer on land in Sussex, I used to book individual outings on the Cowdray estate (Sussex) and with Graeme Prowse (Devon, link http://www.devoncountydeer.co.uk/).

The Cowdray estate charged £70 per outing (morning or evening) plus the cost of the venison by wgt if you wanted to keep the carcass (which I always did, why wouldn't you?) On top of this you paid trophy charges where applicable. I generally went for does as I'm not interested in trophy chasing. Trophy charges can be high (though you can always "decline" the animal.) Training was excellent.

Graeme (Devon) did not charge me for the deer I shot (neither bucks nor does), and he was an excellent host.

I do not know if you can use an "estate rifle" for either of these venues as I used my own. If you are unknown to an estate you will have to do a shooting test prior to being allowed to stalk. This needs to be factored into your plans as you can't do a test in pitch black before your morning outing!

Details for Cowdray:
www.cowdray.co.uk
THE COWDRAY ESTATE OFFICE, COWDRAY PARK, EASEBOURNE
MIDHURST, WEST SUSSEX, GU29 0AQ
TEL: 01730 812423 FAX: 01730 815608
Online Enquiry Form or e-mail enquiries@cowdray.co.uk

Deer-stalking isn't really something you can dip in-and-out of and expect to get the most out of it (like bushcraft). It may be several outings before you get a shot but you do get very close to nature in the process, so an unsuccessful stalk is not unenjoyable.

I love it; it fits seamlessly into the way I practice bushcraft.

Good luck,

Xav

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
TD

The fact that you have gone out of your way to track down info etc is a pretty good sign you have stage one deeritus - congratulations!

The rules and regs can seem daunting and even 'simple' issues like the estate rifles position dont tend to be that well broadcast.

All credit to you for getting to this stage - genuine praise, not patronisation.

Going route of attending some day outings/ DMQ instruction via recommendation is the safest and arguably best route. Everyone tends to have their way of doing things and until your experience builds it can get fairly confusing.

I am at the other end of the country from you, but if you do struggle to find somewhere please PM me and we can discuss further.

Doc mentioned Arran BASC stalking. Went out in October. Great time had and POTENTIALLY good opportunities. FC/ BASC guys are very helpful, but you and buddy are fairly much on your own devices whilst out. DSC 1 requirement imposes a certain level of experience, but ( unless accompanied by an experienced friend ) not a place to try too early in your stalking career.

I wish you well.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
XAV

Meant to add - thank you for providing details for TD and in particular putting link between stalking and Bushcraft ethos so well.

I feel very much the same way. Sadly there are stalkers and there are deer killers. These are not one and the same!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
All good advice above.

I did DSC1 here: http://www.eskdalewildlife.com/ in southern Scotland. Not only is the course reasonably cheap, the instructor is a professional forester and you learn a certain amount of deer/tree ecology. They also offer stalking.

Tonedef

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Stockport
Deer-stalking isn't really something you can dip in-and-out of and expect to get the most out of it (like bushcraft). It may be several outings before you get a shot but you do get very close to nature in the process, so an unsuccessful stalk is not unenjoyable.

I love it; it fits seamlessly into the way I practice bushcraft.

Good luck,

Xav

My apologies, not quite what I meant.
I was thinking more to do the DMQ 1 first to find out the rules and reg etc.. followed by some stalks to gain experience before committing large amounts of money to my own equipment.

I looked at the Aaron info, but it seems to be for someone who has the rifle and basic experience, it does seem perfect for someone aiming for a level 2, although thats my opinion as a complete novice.

I have no illusions of setting out in the morning and coming back with a nice beast in the afternoon, As is I cant even stalk the local deer in Tatton park with my camera, and they are used to people.

As a side issue, how do you practice both the stalking and the shooting ?
i'm guessing a local gun club is handy for the target aspect, but the stalking ?

Thanks
Tony

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
TD

Part of the thinking behind the DSC 1 etc training was/ is exactly as you put it - a scheme to introduce new stalkers in a structured way.

Sort of works that way - but finer points on that could run and run!

Eskdale as noted by Doc have a very high reputation and will likely cater for your needs. I'll PM you regards other opportunities.

Very pertinent question regards shooting as part of stalking and shooting for practise. Unfortunately the last piece of legislation got itself very muddled on just this point. Practise is essential as you wisely conclude already. The form your practise takes will in reality depend upon the Constabulary that will administer your FAC and their policy as opposed to the pure wording of the legislation - I know, I know - but dont write it here, write to your MP!

To shoot a deer, you must use a missile designed to expand in a predictable manner. To target shoot, you may not use a missile designed to expand in... I think you'll probably see where this ones going.

If you want to partake in reasonable levels of ongoing target practise, you will need to join a suitably approved rifle club. There you will probably find that the ranges to which they have access prohibit expanding ammunition and your FAC is likely to have conditions restricting the use of expanding missiles to deer stalking, vermin control and zeroing.

In the early days, people got tied up in all kinds of knots on this one. As time has passed, things seem to have settled a little.

If you are completely new to rifle shooting, membership of a club will probably be useful in any event. But equally a good air-rifle and a couple of tins of pellets are very good training.

The better courses at DSC 1 aimed at novice stalkers will provide opportunity to practise the shooting test with no audience and experienced tuition. I would imagine Eskdale are in that bracket.

Things may seem convoluted at the outset - I suppose they are - but most genuine stalkers are passionate about their obsession and a good few will make time for anyone with genuine interest.

Please dont lose heart. Again risk sounding like patronisation - its not - but you are asking all the right questions.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
TD

The better courses at DSC 1 aimed at novice stalkers will provide opportunity to practise the shooting test with no audience and experienced tuition. I would imagine Eskdale are in that bracket.

Things may seem convoluted at the outset - I suppose they are - but most genuine stalkers are passionate about their obsession and a good few will make time for anyone with genuine interest.

Please dont lose heart. Again risk sounding like patronisation - its not - but you are asking all the right questions.

Agree.

Just for info, I did DSC1 pretty much from scratch, having never shot a deer before. The course provider sent me some background reading material. I did a bit of air rifle practice.

On the day of the shooting test, there were 14 of us. Quite a few of the experienced guys were having trouble zeroing. I didn't. I borrowed the estate rifle - a .22-250 (so minimal recoil) with a bipod, sound moderator and decent German scope. The first part of the shooting test is prone, and you fire to test zero first, at 100 yards. You are given a chance to dry fire, and if necessary repeat the shots for zero.

I find 'real life' rifle shooting (when you are out of breath, its raining, there's heather in your eyes, a bit of time pressure, no proper rest, fellow stalker sucking teeth etc) quite challenging but honestly, the DSC shooting test is very straightforward - I think most people could pass it without prior experience.

The rounds for zero went into a group of about an inch, so that was quite aconfidence boost. Everybody passed the test, I think 4 or 5 needed to repeat one part of it on the day.

I really think you should do DSC1, and do a moorning or evenings stalking. I don't think it matters which order. Its clear from your questions you are thinking intelligently about this and i think you should pursue it.

Stalkers are very helpful people. Also, when you start stalking, opportunities to stalk and shoot often just appear. I had to spend money to do dsc1, and buy a rifle, but since then I've had a lot of cheap or free stalking.

There is a very good book you might consider getting: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deer-Stalki...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199487926&sr=8-1

This is the Deer stalking handbook by Graham Downing.

Sporting Rifle magazine is worth a read (though it is a bit kit obsessed and diversifies into oddball things like baboon hunting)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE