Question for zebra billy can owners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Well I may have missed something obvious (not impossible :rolleyes: ) but mine doesn't have a any kind of locking device for the lid.

I just put in a bag and it packs away just fine. Great piece of kit :D

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
TC

By no means expert - my Zebra came 'as is' - no box or instructions.

The lid is a good fit in any event. However there are two white plastic tabs on the hinge brackets. When the handle is vertical these close on the rim of the lid and hold it in place.

To be honest, hadnt worked out if they were just packing items and to be removed before use. However, removed both and the handle recently to replace with stainless steel wire handle - as per other thread on forum.

Hope helps - though I'd still like to know the pukka info.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The white plastic locking tabs worked great on mine..... right up until the time I put it over an open fire. Then one melted clean off, the other I pulled off as it had discoloured in the same event. The lid still fits and the billy still heats water - I think I'm better off without the plastic tabs.

ATB

Ogri the trog

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I was after getting a zebra billycan or two, then I discovered this deal:
http://survival-school.org/Default.aspx?tabid=246&ProductID=110

A complete set for the price of one Zebra billycan. :D Includes 1x6 pint, 1x4 pint, 1x6.75",1x6",&1x5" frying pan all with folding handles. The smallest lid is handy for drinking.

Thats a great choice my man. They are copies of the "Bulldog" brand billy cans so popular in the 60's and 70's. I've got two of the original sets and both are going strong, both sets surviving the heat of open fires and high powered liquid fuel stoves without problem. On solo trips I leave the big pan behind and take the 4 and 2 pint pots. The two pint holds all my brew kit, cup a soups, and condiments with ease. I've been a champion of these sets on this site many times, but people insist on buying Zebra brand??? They must have more money than me. I know they are aluminium and can be harder to clean, but then, if your a good cook, you don't burn your food;)

Enjoy the pans, they really are very good indeed. The six pint pot is on the British Army No.12 cooker, a real beast of a stove, and as you can see, the pan has had a lot of use, but is still fine

DSCF0960Small.jpg

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
The plastic tabs are for the original use of these containers as tiffin pots (Lunch boxes)

Spot on. I replaced mine with two clips bent out of heavy guage wire. They work a treat. I posted a thread on hear about it with some pictures but I can't seem to find it now.

AJB

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Ogri -

Due respect for your honesty. Confession time - I melted one off mine too, but didnt want to voice it!:rolleyes:

Hence confusion as to purpose etc...

Until Wayland provided the answer - many thanks.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Mine had the little plastic clips but they only secure the lid when the handle is in the 'up' position.

I ripped them off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE