question about using mild steel for cooking with.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Don't know if this is in the right place and/or a stupid question but:

Does anyone know of any health issues that using untreated mild steel might cause or has others used it without a qualm?

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'm no expert but I know galvanised steel is bad news when heated due to the fumes released. Aluminium was believed to cause bad things but I don't think it's actually been proven. As far as I'm aware mild steel should be fine. Best to wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to verify that for you thought...

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks, I knew about the galvanised steel issue and now that you mentioned it very vaugely about the aluminium. I'm thinking of making a 1ish litre pot out of mild steel to use for an medieval wild camp I plan on doing using as close to authentic as possible. I've seen an image of a 15th century billy can istead of a cast or clay pot.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I don't think mild steel should be a problem, I'd just burn it in a couple times before cooking or drinking the water from it...I've done my own stainless billy cans and haven't mutated yet.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Thanks, I knew about the galvanised steel issue and now that you mentioned it very vaugely about the aluminium. I'm thinking of making a 1ish litre pot out of mild steel to use for an medieval wild camp I plan on doing using as close to authentic as possible. I've seen an image of a 15th century billy can istead of a cast or clay pot.

Wow that sounds interesting. Be sure to post a trip report with pictures, I'd be very intrigued to see what kind of equipment they used just out of curiosity. :)

Hi, it should be no problem, Nisbets do a range of cookware called black steel and this is just mild steel. most woks and the large scout fry-pans are the same. I looked at my collection (very sad but I love cooking pots) and most are just mild steel from a fry pan to a kahri hand cut from a truck bed with a cold chisel.

prepare it the same as a wok, heat it right up, take off heat and wipe over with lard or cooking oil and allow to cool, heat again and repeat 3 times. wash in cold water and dont scour or use washing up liquid. should then be non-stick as well.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Westnorfolk mentioned woks. That should be a good indication considering that the Japanese still have on average the longest lifespan. The only downisde I can think of healthwise would be the cholesterol from the fats in the food itself. Metal pots (cast, hammered steel or whatever) tend to hold the fats against the food instead of letting it drip away as grilled or fire roasted would but that's more a problem of method than of metal selection. On a plus side, any iron from the steel or cast iron that leached into your food is actually a needed mineral.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Ok, just to re-visit this.

I bought a mild steel paint kettle and I've washed it and boiled water in it and now its gone rusty inside. Any ideas how I can combat this as I've starded to 'seal' it with oil and the rust is rubbing off!!

P.s. it's this weekend I go away so any ideas GREATLY appreciated.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Treat as a cast iron dutch oven or a 'black iron' frying pan. Season the metal by coating with oil & burning it on. There have been threads on doing this try a search

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE