question about my vango banshee 200

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
the inner tents are designed for insulation in some tents, Vango being one brand that does incorperate it. The thing is with your breath in such a small tent you will get condensation if its cold and you don't need insulation if its warm, never saw the point of them due to condensation over single skin tents.
would not condensation be the same regardless of the inner/no inner as the moisture is collecting on the flysheet?

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
i dont think the bucket test is good enough to rule seepage out though and i await the next good dose of rain and not these silly showers

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
would not condensation be the same regardless of the inner/no inner as the moisture is collecting on the flysheet?

Actually a tent like the banshee, put the vent at the apex on the more sloping side.

The inner is as good as waterproof to deal with the drips of condensation from the fly, so without ventilation it condenses inside the inner rather than the fly. Utter lunacy. The answer is ventilation, just try and stem the draught. Alot of the energy lost from your house goes through hot air outflow for ventilation. A new system for houses exchanges the heat in the outflow air to the new fresh air in, alot more economical. But you still need ventilation in a house otherwise you get damp.

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
i cant recall moisture collecting on the inner, the problem was when i had the inner in contact with the fly either because i had shifted down and had my feet pressed against it or i shifted up and my head was against it

do you mean the inner or fly requires another vent?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
i cant recall moisture collecting on the inner, the problem was when i had the inner in contact with the fly either because i had shifted down and had my feet pressed against it or i shifted up and my head was against it

do you mean the inner or fly requires another vent?

i took it out with me for a 4 day trip and it rained moderatley on the last night after i had it all set up,
i noticed that the flysheet was wet on the inside after an hour or so and even some rain dripped down onto the inner tent, my sleeping bag got wet at the bottom where i must have been pressing against the flysheet as im probably slighty tall for the tent at 5,11

should this tent be doing this in moderate rain? should the flysheet be wet on the inside? its my first what i thought to be a decent tent so thats why i ask

i bought it 2 months ago so cant take it back to the store

I should think that the wet head/feet situation was because of condensation running down the inside of the inner, it sounds like the inner is acting like the fly should. Does it have a vent at the top Steingis ? if not stick another vent in the inner on the steep sloping side at the apex., I have a piece of mesh you can use, Also which way around did you sleep ?

You will get condensation in tents , more so when its cold and more so when its humid (rain 100+ humidity. The fly inner combo was designed for the fly to be wet through condensation and the inner to protect the tent occupant from drips from the fly.

Canyou put a small vent in ?

Edit .

May be your inner touches the outer and wicks the water . Try to get ir not to touch.

Last edited:

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
thanks for the offer and help, putting a mesh in would be wildly beyond my capabilities , i have used the tent for one 3-night outing only and will be using it again hopefully this weekend ill be able to investigate if the inner is condensating

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
I SLEPt head towards the higher steep end. no it doesnt have a vent at the top it has a semi-circle opening lower down where my head is , what makes me think that touching is the problem is that im pretty sure i had the inner door wide open and the outer one fully closed and i was up and down a fair bit dont think the ground was level it was the best i could find though

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
thanks for the offer and help, putting a mesh in would be wildly beyond my capabilities , i have used the tent for one 3-night outing only and will be using it again hopefully this weekend ill be able to investigate if the inner is condensating

I'm sure you could, (pur a vent in, or find someone who could)the inner isn't stress bearing. Another thing about vango tents is the fabric sags when wet, if you spray it with waterproofing it will not absorb water and sag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE