Query: Rogue Trans-Africa boot sizing/fit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi,

I'm trying to sort out my son's kit. He fancies a pair of the Rogue Trans-Africa boots but I can't find any clear sizing advice. I've contacted stockists but they not been very clear in their answers, so I thought I'd come to the source of all true knowledge ...

He has feet that fit a Clarks size 8.5 standard "smartish" shoe. Would a Rogue size 8.5 fit him?

Is there a BCUKer out there wearing Rogue Trans-Africa 8.5 boots? If there is, please let me know what size shoes - preferably Clarks - you wear. I'm trying to avoid having to add the cost of 2 x pair of boots + 2 x postage + final return postage to my already frail and quivering quivering bank account.

Hope someone can help.

All the best.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I used to wear Clark's 8.5 and I have a pair of Rogue Ranger Boots. I think they are also 8.5, but will have to check them when I go home.

Mind you, unless the Trans Africa boots are very different from the Rangers, I would have a lot of reservations about them. My view on my Rogues is that they are the most beautifully made, highest quality, durable, but still rubbish boots I have ever had. Heavy, not even water resistant, not breathable (a major achievement to manage both), too flexible in the arch and without a heel breast. The quality and image are great sellers, but I can't wear them for much despite long efforts. My feet never got strong enough for them not to tire me too soon, and long after they didn't look like they had ever seen any leather treatment and soaked up every drop of water like blotting paper, on bone dry days my socks would always come out with great wet patches from sweat that could not escape.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Ah! Not selling on commission, are you? :eek:

Those are interesting insights, thanks for sharing them.

Son a bit under the influence of Mr Mears - not a bad situation, but one that rather inclines him towards higher end priced kit.

I'd be interested to hear about the size of your boots anyway, as it could be a helpful guide.

Anyone else out there share Chris' opinions?

ATB

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I am a Clarke size 8.5 and I have the Rogue desert boots in 8.5 and size wise they are OK but fit wise........they are so painful my feet cry after 100m or less, I have persevered, I have soaked them and worn them wet, I have done them up tight and done them up loose and they still hurt !

Bear in mind these are soft suede ankle high desert boots I can honestly say I have never ever had such a painful pair of boots !

maybe in another six months they will wear in, I don't know.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Have him try them on somehow. I'd suggest against buying any kind of footwear (or a backpack :p) without being able to try it out for a while. Everyone's feet are different, and even the same shoes (same brand, same series, same size) can be different due to small abrasion spots etc. Without trying them on, you won't know, and being a few km out there, with bad blisters, is far from a fun experience ;).

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks, IC. I'm up in the hairy-ish north of Scotland, so Rogue boot stockists are there none. I'm trying to avoid postage costs for trying on boots - but it's cheaper than petrol, I suppose.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Robbi, thanks for that. The Trans-Africa boots are more like the traditional hiking books, full leather tops. There are suede Rogue boots, but I don't think I'd buy those for him.

You're another "non-fan" so I'm a bit concerned. Any positive votes out there?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Can confirm my Rogues are 8.5. They are slightly wider than some shoes, similar to Keens, which fit me well, as opposed to Meindl, of which I have two pairs, and have to have UK9.5 in order to get adequate width.

Went had a look at the current design and see that they have indeed (now) got a heel breast, so that complaint of mine is nullified.

I have found that buying boots and shoes is a bit of a lottery, whether you mail order from somewhere with a good return policy, or buy from a store. I have mail ordered a number of pairs of boots, Keen Voyagers, Merrell light hikers, LLBean Knife Edge hikers, LLBean Light Hikers, and the Rogues. All of them with the exception of the Bean Light Hikers fitted very well, and the LLB LHs fit okay for what I use them for. On the other hand, I have bought and returned (changed for other models) two pairs of Meindl boots which felt okay walking around in the store, but proved not to be good fits when worn for longer at home. One pair didn't show problems until worn outside for a walk. Bought a pair of Clark's shoes which felt fine in store, and find walking around for 3 weeks in-doors...then gave me huge blisters the first time I wore them to walk 400yards outside.

If your boy really wants those boots because of Mr Mears, and he has good strong feet and arches (I tend to have fallen arches, which is part of the problem I had with the Rogues), then you should at least order some to try on. If he doesn't try them the question will always be nagging there. If they do work for him, and I know that they can work for people, they are really well made and will probably give much pleasure to own. They certainly have character unlike the more modern constructed hiking boots. Unless the design has been changed further from when I bought mine though, I think the other caveats will still stand; not really waterproof, not very breathable, not particularly light weight, and potentially rather flexible in the sole.

I bought mine in 2006 and posted a review here, long since lost to the ether, which was generally positive. The negatives for me came with much longer use. YMMV :)
RogueRanger2_zpsxegxvteo.jpg

RogueRanger1_zpscxjwgbum.jpg

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks, Chris.

Currently we're looking around at options.

I'm a fan of all leather boots (ie no nylon liner) and have struggled to find available ones. My old high legs were very comfortable. Offspring and I share hot feet, so rubs and hotspots can be an issue in fabric boots. The construction of the Rogues caught my eye, plus the idea that they were lightweight.

I understand your point about trying so you don't hanker after what might have been.

Thanks again for the input.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE