Query: Benchmade griptilian vs doug ritter rsk does either have an advantage

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I had a look at a Griptillian recently and I liked the weighting and feel of the knife. I then found that Doug Ritter had 'evolved' it to create his RSK knife. Does anyone have experience of both and does either one have a major advantage over the other?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
mainly personal preference I think
I have the Benchmade Bone Collector special and love it
The only thing I don't like about the RSK is the cheap handle plastic - after market ones are available but tend to be as much as the knife again!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I've got both, will try and post a couple of photos later but overall I prefer the ritter version. handle material is the same but tbh it's not bad.... Not G10 but it's ok. Standard version has a slightly finer point for carving but tbh I don't find the wider point of the ritter much of a hinderance.

Ritter steel is a lot nicer I find it takes and holds an edge a bit better than the standard. I use it pretty much every time I'm out canoeing, maybe couple of times a month.

tbh I think price is the main factor over what to choose, the ritter is pretty dear

Cheers,

Alan

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
I've had both and for me the Ritter blade is a lot better shape and more usable. The M390 steel is brill and holds an amazing edge.

In fact I would say it almost replaces a fixed blade.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...overall I prefer the ritter version..."

Another vote for the Ritter, however they can be quite pricey to import. I don't mind the handle material, I find it comfortable in use and it makes for a very lightweight but very capable tool.

"...Ritter steel is a lot nicer I find it takes and holds an edge a bit better than the standard..."

Agreed, mine takes an edge after a couple of strokes on the bottom of a coffee mug. :)

rsk_m1.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE