queens scout award & bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
am quite proud to say i am just about finished my queens scouts away

all i need to do is finish my hike at the end of february and have all my evidence together by the third of march.

i have everything almost together i just need to make a nice powerpoint with all the evidence on it

for my skill i am doing "bushcraft and self relaince" i have been doing projects over the last 4months to teach my self new skills, the only problem being lack of evidence ie picstures thing i have made

so i need 4/5 projects that i can do over the next 2/3weeks, my first thoughts where:

bush pipe
friction fire
bivis
pouch making
sharps (care and safe usage)
birch bark box
trapping
water purification
hobo stove

these are all pretty simple, and i can help thinking that for a skill for the highest award in scouting its all a bit boring and easy so i am looking for some other ideas

so hit my with ur idea stick

webbie

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Well done...
Very few people have that award it took me a while to get mine but that was a few years ago.
I would stay away from the trapping bit as the scout association isn't keen on the killing of animals bla bla bla
Or atleast that is what i have been told as a leader!
When i take scouts and explorers shooting they are not aloud to shoot any animals or shoot at targets that depict animals or humans. So check on that one...
How about bivi's for different climates - this could include research and then sketches of different options with the most suitable for your current climate being demonstrated.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
no ideas I'm afraid, although I can vouch that I enjoyed knife making, just make sure you have proper drill bits for drilling the metal, either high speed steel or carbide tip, I found that out to my cost.
Good luck on the award.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Webbie
Pit roast a leg of Venison for the assesor:D or at least think about what the assesor will not have seen done by another scout that you can do.

Carve yourself a wooden spoon and cup that would impress most people

Kuksaandspoons1.jpg

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
okay taking these into consideration i think a few bigger projects such as:

carving and re-handling a knife and a few smaller projects would be the best ideas

off to the charity shop tomorrow :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE