Quality Medical Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I'm after a bit of a steer in the correct direction.

I'm looking for a 'Medical Bag' we can use at Home and as a 'FAK grab bag' for when we shoot off family camping. Currently we have a plastic bin type container that does the job but stuff is not set out in it very well. Nothing worse than having to search around for the tweezers when you have a 8yo with a splinter in the foot or it's 3am and your looking for the calpol or rescue remedy.

I'm not planning on stocking it with IV kits, chest seals, Quick Clot or Morphine Coffins. Just normal Home based FAK type stuff with perhaps some simplistic meds and the odd 'ice' pack etc. My experience of the quality of say an average FAK bag is it lasts about five minutes if you're dipping into it fairly regularly.. With kids we're always in and out of FAK's for stuff same deal when we head off camping with family and friends someone whacks their finger with a mallet, or picks up a minor burn off of the BBQ or needs a pregnancy test :rolleyes:...

A brief Search on google gives me either something for hauling through the Mountains or Afghanistan to run a 'Hearts and Minds Clinic' or something that sits in the back of an Ambulance fit for a Paramedic...

I'm after something hardwearing, with compartments for relavent kit. Thomas make some nice stuff from what I see on the web.

Any help appreciated

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Have you had a look round the local shops?

I used a cheap tackle box to store the FAK items at work, kinda like this:
new_first_aid_kit.jpg

For my personal use i have had a "Pocket" kit from "Lifesystems" for a few years and have been impressed by how well it stood up to abuse, so last year i ordered the "World Traveller" kit for the car.

Obviously i add or remove stuff as i see fit, but both are very good kits, with quality contents in very tough bags.
They also do empty cases if you don't fancy the toolbox/fishing box route.
http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/psec/first_aid_kits/first_aid_utility_case.htm

Cheers
Mark

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
If you're prepared to carry something fairly large, look at a 'pitch doctor' bag. They're sports bag sized and are designed for football/rugby style first aid kits, so roomy and robust. Pro-Star certainly made one.

Cheers

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
S.P.Services are good, I used to get a lot of kit from them when I was on a sports medical/rescue team. Another possible supplier is DS Medical (www.999supplier.co.uk). St. John Supplies, part of St. John Ambulance also supply kit to the public.

No connection with either, other than being a previous customer.

Alan

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I use a PLCE respirator pouch. Roomy, bombproof and and I keep medical tools stored on a tool roll in it rolled up.

Cost me, excluding the medical supplies, £4 all in.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Have you had a look round the local shops?

Yep I can get all sort of plastic boxes including a tackle box. Yours is nicely set out.

Here's another company, you might want to look at their website..http://www.spservices.co.uk/
When I was looking to equip for ocean voyages, they supplied a first aid kit. They also do purpose made quick access bags etc:

Thanks, I'm not looking for something bespoke but the other stuff looks good

This is the kind of bag I mean

9999127.JPG

very nice....

forestwalker

I'm thinking about the 5.11 tactical medics puch. I have an old tatonka bag a bit like the one you show, but the open ended pockets means that everything is still in a horrid mess when you open it. What I currently use is an Ortleib waterproof bag. Just a sack, but it is waterproof. Means that I can leave it where it may get soaked with no worries (nice on a canoe trip, no need to hide it in the bottom of a waterproof stuffsack.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I use a Snugpack Response Pack (same as below but in black)

2999.jpg

I find it ideal for the job. Sticking plasters/small dressings/tweezers/scissors/haemostats/tick removers etc in the front pocket, lotions/potions/rehydrate sachets in the left, tablets in the right. Bandages/large dressings/laerdal facemask/epi-pens etc in the main compartment. As well as a small pen torch I keep a small head torch in it as well as it frees up your hands for use in the dark.

I use it as our main house first aid kit but if we're heading off on any kind of trip (beach/hillwalking/camping) it gets lobbed in the car.

madgaz

Forager
Sep 21, 2011
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Have you considered the British army issue medic side pouch? Designed to zip onto a bergen like a normal side pouch but can be used by itself. Opens up nicely, plenty of space without being too bulky and plenty of straps etc to secure things safely. Can be had off eBay for around £15 I think.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I use a Stomp 11 Medic Pack but that is over kill for the majority of people on here. I provide medical support on expeditions. The Snugpak response bag is a good choice for small group use. Otherwise a personal FAK need only be a few plasters and a bandage or two.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I use a PLCE medical side pocket with the family first aid kit in it. If we go away somewhere, it comes with us:

plce-medic-pouch-94-p.jpg

Mine not actually an issue bag, but some kind of cheaper copy. Might not survive being thrown out of helicopters in Afghanistan quite as well as the real thing, but as a family FAK works very nicely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE