Qualified buscraft instructor!

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I was looking at an advert for a bushcraft school near to where I live and it said that the owner/ instructor was a 'qualified bushcraft instructor' is there such a thing?

P

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I'm not sure I agree with the 'formalisation' of Bushcraft, but there's quals for Mountain Leadership and lots of other outdoor stuff, so why not?

Woodcraft school do a course that is NCFE recognised, in conjunction with plumpton college.

http://www.plumpton.ac.uk/textonly/...Leadership Programme for the Outdoor Industry

Doing the course also gives you these quals:-

• First Aid at Work
• Advanced Explorer First Aid
• BEL (Basic Expedition Leader)
• Instructional Techniques
• Basic Food Handling
• Edexcel National Diploma Modules in Countryside Management:
~ Unit 5 Ecology and Conservation 1
~ Unit 30 Ecology of Trees, Forest and Woodland
~ Unit 31 Forest Woodland Management

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I'm doing the NCFE Bushcraft Leadership Instructor course at the moment, its the only actual bushcraft qualification run anywhere.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
billycan said:
I'm doing the NCFE Bushcraft Leadership Instructor course at the moment, its the only actual bushcraft qualification run anywhere.

I'm also doing the NCFE at the moment - are you in the first group?

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
pibbleb- its actually not very expensive when you break down what your actually geting for the money. The cost of the courses if you were going to do them separately on your own would be much more!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
To gain qualies towards a carrer like that its peanuts i recon :)

I am in IT and pretty much every course we go on is about a grand a week and thats part 1 of 12 for one manufacturers software !

One day one day :rolleyes: besides ruling the world of course !

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Billycan you are absolutely right re the cost, I kind of shot from the hip with my previous comment.

It looks a great course and I'm sure it's hugely popular perhaps when I win the lottery I'll sign up. :lmao:

Seriously though let me know how you guys get on I'll follow how it goes with interest.

P

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I used to be an external verifier for NCFE. Most of their courses attract funding of sorts and people on benefits or if unemployed can often get on places at no cost to themselves. Worth looking into.

Eric

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fallow Way said:
Just my personal opinion but I dont see much worth in the Bushcraft qualifications. I rather seek out those who have not been taught how to teach it, but learned how to live it.

Just my opinion.

Thats a fair opinion but in this world of compensation mainier schools have to cover themselves I guess and having instructors with quals on paper probably helps!

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Fallow way...
I have lived it and learnt the skills and i'm still learning as you can never know it all, but i am doing the course to get various bits of paper. You have no idea how much paperwork/redtape there is behind running/leading anything outdoors with groups or individuals. Its very tedious but in todays world it is very necessary to protect yourself and compete with the others.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
It is just my opinion thats all. It just doesnt sit comfortably with me and that is a personal thing. The people I have learned most from have never had a qualification in what they do, infact they are less qualified than people doing it 5 year comparied to their 45. Again, its just a personal thing.

For the record, I do know, intimitly, what it is like running outdoor events, its my job. I sit on educational and health and safety working groups, run courses and large events and have to be qualified in a wide range of things to do it, but to me, Bushcraft is different.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Im just wondering about the guys who seem to be taking the course in East sussex how much in all did it cost you to take the course. Where abouts did you stay while doing the course do you live locally or did you rent. If you rented did the college help you find a place or did you have to look yourself.

Mitch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE