Quail keeping (for eggs)

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Does anyone on here keep quail?

I really want some for eggs, just looking for some pointers (I already keep chooks)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
We used to have a few Quail in the Aviary, tried the eggs once - bleedin disgusting things, the Quail were much tastier though:rolleyes:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Very easy to look after, all we used to do was place a tray of water and feed on the aviary floor and they more or less looked after themselves, we got ours from a local bird fancier (Budgies) who bred the Quail for Budgie keepers to keep in the aviary to help keep the floor clean, we had a few Japanese Quail as well - funny things they are.

You might want to try a big pet supply place, we have a couple in some of the larger Garden Centres and ive seen Quail for sale in there.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
No prob, you sometimes see them advertised in the free ad papers and the like as well

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
We have some Quail too
A rat got in the pen and killed 2 of them - it's now completely rat proof (famous last words...)
Soft boiled scotch eggs are lovely. Real pain to do though

Mark

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have a friend who breeds them plus lots of other fowl, he let some loose on his farm a while back to see what happens.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a friend who breeds them plus lots of other fowl, he let some loose on his farm a while back to see what happens.

Could you get an update on that if you see your friend please?? I'd be interested if they prospered or not.
Cheers

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I used to have a few, I got fertilized eggs off evilbay and bobbed them in an incubator. Good hatch rate and a fair survival rate too. I culled the cocks when they started calling. The hens would produce an egg a day. Eggs were quite good, marginally better than hens IMHO. The shells were very thick and so cracking was difficult, quite common to get shell in the egg!
Conclusion - not worth the bother.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE