quaichs

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have been turning some quaichs recently out of cherry, alder and burr maple. Some with silver rims some plain. Either way they make the perfect vessel for sharing scotch round the campfire (JD should be straight from the bottle :))

burr maple
IMG_7545.jpg

cherry
IMG_7557.jpg

alder
IMG_7555.jpg

burr maple
IMG_7548.jpg

alder
IMG_7549.jpg

These are turned on the pole lathe then carved with a knife. I turn them green slightly oversize and hope that when they dry they shrink by the right amount to fit the rims.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
very nice work there robin.

where do you get the silver rims from? i've got a noggin that split a little as i was making it, one of those rims would do a great job of hiding the split

stuart

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very very nice, are they for sale Robin?

I was admiring some turned bowls and plates today at the Keighley show and wish I'd bought a couple for camping.

Last edited:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Very very nice, are they for sale Robin?

I was admiring some turned bowls and plates today at the Keighley show and wish I'd bought a couple for camping.
Turned bowls for hard use is what I make most of, few turners make stuff for use which I think is a shame. The silver rims make these pretty expensive, since I made the last batch 6 months ago the silver price has gone up 80%, people gambling on commodities stops others from using them.

Stu I get the rims made by a Sheffield silversmith. We visited many museums together looking at the old ones. They were made by fitting silver to wood which is time consuming and expensive. We worked out that if we could make standard sized rims in batches and me turn the quaich to fit then we get them at a more sensible price. The first quote I got for fitting a rim to an existing quaich was nearly twice what I sell a finished quaich for now so I doubt it is a viable route for your noggin.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....Stu I get the rims made by a Sheffield silversmith. We visited many museums together looking at the old ones. They were made by fitting silver to wood which is time consuming and expensive. We worked out that if we could make standard sized rims in batches and me turn the quaich to fit then we get them at a more sensible price. The first quote I got for fitting a rim to an existing quaich was nearly twice what I sell a finished quaich for now so I doubt it is a viable route for your noggin.

thanks for that robin. from what you're saying i guess it'd cost me a fortune to go down the silver route, i shall think again on this one. would you have any suggestions as to a way i could add a rim, or materials i could use for the purpose?

stuart

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
thanks for that robin. from what you're saying i guess it'd cost me a fortune to go down the silver route, i shall think again on this one. would you have any suggestions as to a way i could add a rim, or materials i could use for the purpose?

stuart

Robin might have other suggestions, but you might like to try pewter for a rim. You could use an old (charity shop) tankard, either to cut a slice across if the diameters match, or melted down and re-cast as a custom rim.

Eric

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Robin might have other suggestions, but you might like to try pewter for a rim. You could use an old (charity shop) tankard, either to cut a slice across if the diameters match, or melted down and re-cast as a custom rim.

Eric

great idea eric, i've got a few bits of pewter knocking about somewhere in the shed, now might be a good time to learn pewter casting

sorry for the thread hijack robin

stuart

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
sounds a good idea worth a try Eric. I actually like old repairs you see on medieval mazer bowls where they drill a hole either side and stitch with fine silver or copper wire or fold a piece of metal sheet over the damaged area and pin through with rivets.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE