Pyrography tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Hi all

I'm about to start pyrography, are there any obvious things I should do or not do (other than burning myself)

Also, the iron I have has a simple pointed tip - does any one have any hints for making different shaped ones? I was thinking I could shape a nail or something.

Thanks

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Do not inhale the smoke. The sneezing fits can ruin the design ;)
Not done any myself but saw a lady at a show producing some lovely work and found a website at that time that had a series of 'How to's'
Do a search, if the folk here can't assist, there are bound to be utube vid's on it, tutorials and such.
Please post your work up here when you get going, most of us enjoy learning about new crafts or skills and you could inspire others too.
BTW, reshaping a nail echoes here as I have used reground masonry nails to do miniature turning, goblets with captive rings about the size of a fingernail, so as long as the nail you use is of a similar diameter as the standard tip it should work much the same.
Rob.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I have done some mucking about with burning, just presents and experimenting with decorating some carvings. There are two types of pen, one looks like a soldering iron and has interchangeable tips, the other is much easier to use and to create a better finish (I have both types) and this uses a shaped wire to form the nib. It can also be heat adjustable which is necessary for different materials such as leather or differing hardness of woods.
I used an Antex Fire Writer Pyrography Pen for these examples. http://www.axminster.co.uk/hand-tools/more-hand-tools/pyrography do them.

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 84
  • wood words.jpg
    wood words.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 284.jpg
    284.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 83

unit392

Mar 16, 2015
Central Europe
I've done some pyrography myself, although never went as far as buying purpose-made equipment, I only used my precision soldering iron. It's doing great nonetheless, I'll add some pictures later, as my best pieces were presents for family and I don't have photos available.

Anyway, probably the most important thing is, as Fraxinus wrote above, that you must'nt inhale the smoke. It's hot, and it's likely it contains a fair amount of carbon monoxide, maybe some tar as well, so it's not doing you any good. I use a half-face gas mask with twin filters, but lighter gear could be enough, especially if you don't lean over the piece too close. Also, I recommend doing it outdoors, as the smoke smells too.

I can't add much on the equipment part, the guys above covered it pretty well, but there's another important thing, the pattern itself. For simple, flat pieces you can draw/sketch it on the piece itself, but on curved surfaces it can be a bit a problematic. I usually draw the picture on paper first, smooth it out on the piece, and transfer the pattern to the wood by going over it with a needle/nail.

Oh, and one last thing: you can do much more with a simple pointed iron than you first imagine. Learned it the "hard" way :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just a little fan, some distance away, just enough to make the air move.
The top units from RazrTip have adjustable heat, you can run 2 pens and nichrome(?) wire shaped nibs which they will repair for you.
I'll guess that you can see all the tip shapes in their web site.

The shop down my street runs 2 of those units (2 people), they have all the tips and do magnificent work in bone and wood.
What they use is a length of 4" flexible metal tubing up to the work site and a little 12VDC computer fan, pulling air at the other end.

Top pattern source is probably Lora Irish.

[/QUOTE] It can also be heat adjustable which is necessary for different materials such as leather or differing hardness of woods.
I used an Antex Fire Writer Pyrography Pen for these examples. http://www.axminster.co.uk/hand-tools/more-hand-tools/pyrography do them.[/QUOTE]

so it can be used for hardwood and bamboo, too?! the only electric pyrography tool i used wasn't powerful enough for my liking and was left behind ( in Japan)-- so far I do all my pyrography with a magnifying glass. It gives great results but you need sunshine and have to stop after a few minutes because of the bright light and rest your eyes....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yup. Horn, antler, teeth and bone, too. Very stinky, exhaust fan is a must.
Example: when he's not carving a door or building a bed frame, one of the guys in the shop down my street will carve an elaborate
wildlife/animal scene in a moose antler. Cut outs and all, done with a Dremel. Then all the modelling/shading is done with a RazerTip pyrographic system.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE