Puukko in 52100 just finished

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
have been a little distracted with other jobs lately but did manage to finish this one today , a puukko in 52100 bearing steel. wasnt happy with the micarta section of the handle as the layers in the material were showing through (would much rather have had a solid material like bone) any way i tried stippling it to reduce the layers showing.
its not perfect as still learning/practicing this new to me way of making but hope you like it.

Attachments

• puukkob1.jpg
    puukkob1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 103
  • puukkob3.jpg
    puukkob3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 87
  • puukkob5.jpg
    puukkob5.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 95
  • puukko6.jpg
    puukko6.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 92

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
That is a very lovely thing. I agree that a solid piece of bone or an antler crown may have been nicer than the micarta. Is the blade a rhombic section? I have a bad case of wanting now....

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You've come on well Mark, that's a bit different and very nice. I agree, bone or antler would be the traditional choice, but it looks superb.

My concern, and I may be seeing it wrong, is the bevel up to the spine. Does this make thumb pressure while whittling more uncomfortable?

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thanks, it has a rhomboid cross section. the blade is about 4.5mm wide at its thickest but the spine is left about 2.5mm wide, which isnt too bad on the thumb.
really need to start sourcing some better handle materials. have been using micarta for a long time which is fine but really wanting some more natural materials for these like antler, bone, wood

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Nice solid tang, super tight butting, and that blade is so crisp! I even think the stippled micarta was a good choice, the bone would of been nice but not a challenge.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
thanks, it has a rhomboid cross section. the blade is about 4.5mm wide at its thickest but the spine is left about 2.5mm wide, which isnt too bad on the thumb.
really need to start sourcing some better handle materials. have been using micarta for a long time which is fine but really wanting some more natural materials for these like antler, bone, wood

That sounds about right. I know you know what you're doing, I've looked at your work since you were hammering blanks into wood and standing on them. Definitely a man who takes his work seriously. :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Beautiful. How did you stain the wood?
What burl is it?

The stippling you did was to hide the translucency, but you got one more benefit: Not slippery! A safer knife to handle.

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
You could try g10 instead of micarta, not natural but will give a more consistent finish, you have to watch bone, I used up a whole bran new 2x72 belt on an antler handle, and boy does it smell something awful,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE