Putting a zip on a bivi bag

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I have a goretext bivi bag, but it's one of those ones without a zip in it.
That's always been a minor annoyance.
So I intend on putting a zip in it.
Sooo....
Has anyone done this before? It looks pretty straightforward to me. There are plenty of places (I'm thinking along panel joins) where a zip could be inserted.

More importantly, where do you get a suitably sized, and robust, zip from (in the UK)?

Cheers.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I used a chunky 90cm zip from Point North on my Dutch Army Bivi, took a minute or two with a sewing machine and makes a big difference.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I used a chunky 90cm zip from Point North on my Dutch Army Bivi, took a minute or two with a sewing machine and makes a big difference.

Yeah, that's what I have.
Where did you get the zip?

Edit: Doh! I see - Point North

OliveDrabnotDPM

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 11, 2007
North Yorkshire
Good idea. Thought about it myself and now I have the means. But what about waterproofing the stiching afterwards? No point in puting hundreds of holes in a waterproof bag!!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Good idea. Thought about it myself and now I have the means. But what about waterproofing the stiching afterwards? No point in puting hundreds of holes in a waterproof bag!!

True enough. I thought about the waterproofing. But then I thought - what nonsense! Afterall, it's only a series of tiny holes on the top of bag (which is where I'm going to put the zip). I want the underneath to be waterproof, which is the part to be in contact with the ground. Overhead I'll have a tarp anyway. We say we want 'waterproof' but I think we really mean 'dampproof'- after all, all I'm going to be doing in it is possibly sleeping on moist ground, not rolling in the oceans in it.
So I'm not too bothered about the stitching not being waterproof since I don't think that will matter. Not for me, anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE